Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Hyperventilation? WTF

this was possibly an anxiety attack.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
considering your avatar of Patrick Bateman I wouldn't be surprised it was stress related.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol Patrick Bateman is just a normal, relaxed guy. No? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Anyway, I've done some reading and the symptons I have must be hyperventilation, if that wasn't obvious enough before, it is now. But it's not something that always just goes away or can be threated by breathing in a bag (apperantly, if you have a different kind of hyperventilation you will even make it worse by breathing in a bag). It can go on for years, pretty bothersome if you ask me.

So I must do something. But what? I guess I'll have to google some more... Thanks to all who took the time to respond.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:53 AM

Assuming you don't have an easily correctable medical condition, then you probably do have panic disorder. As you've learned hyperventilating (or simply, shallow, rapid breathing) can cause symptoms such as racing heart, sweating, shaking, dizziness, shortness of breath, feelings of "derealization," etc.

However, panic is fairly easy to resolve, at least with a properly training therapist. Essentially, panic is just the physical manifestation of the fear of your own body's fight-or-flight response.

A key towards dissolving panic is to figure out the catastrophic fears you have about you own bodily response. Most people with panic are afraid of one or more of the following during the attack:

-Having a heart attack
-Fainting
-Suffocating
-Going crazy
-Acting foolish or dangerous
-Some general event of "doom."

Once you have identified the fear and learn (either from experience or education) that you will be O.K., then the panic will likely cease to occur. Unfortunately, I can't treat you over this forum, nor give you enough information for you to necessarily cure yourself. But this is a start.

Good luck to you.

Dr. chesspain
Old 02-27-2006, 10:51 AM

Wow this seems like some really good advice. I hope I can figure it out...
Old 02-27-2006, 11:32 AM

Have you tried Meditation?

There's a cheap $25 course (I just got my wife it for Christmas) at www.natural-stress-relief.com.

Meditation will help your entire well being, even poker! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The author is an ex-TM (Transendental Meditation) instructor. I took it in college and it was a fantastic course for $200... Now it's $2500 which is just ludicrus.

Good Luck spiers! Just take it like a temporary bad beat!!!