Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: how long did it take you to win at this game?

[ QUOTE ]
Your implicit assumption, that you're not a winning player at the FW 4/8 game, might be wrong. Two hours is probably less than 6 orbits at that game.

I've been playing O8 as my first choice game for only about 6 months now, mostly due to boredome with other games. I started having only read SS2, and was a winning player at the FW game from day one, assuming I'm not just on a sick upswing (I play 2-3 times per week live, and have just under 300 hours at the game). Online has been tougher, although I seem to have turned a corner from breaking even to winning about 2 months ago (currently playing at the 1/2 level).

At the typical FW 4/8 game, good basic fundamentals will win. For me, this initially meant a good understanding of starting hands and basic O8 preflop strategy, a mediocre understanding O8 postflop strategy, and having a solid background in limit poker generally from other games.

As you play more, you'll learn that the game is a cast of regulars and reads become incredibly profitable. There are a few very solid players (usually not more than 2 at a table at a time), but, in the vast majority of cases, solid means predictable, and you can just stay out of their way. It's amazing how 2 or 3 (and sometimes only 1) donators are all you need at a table.

For now, play ABC poker. That means don't ever draw to a J high flush when the board is paired. The swings can be frustrating when you're folding every hand, finally get a great starting hand, and brick the flop. I've started sessions with 20+ BB swings where I didn't make any huge mistakes or get coolered, and most of that money was lost by seeing then folding the flop. When things start going your way, though, the money can come back to you so fast-- much faster than it does when playing the same TAG style at hold em or stud, in my experience. Scooping 2 or 3 kill pots can be a 30-40 bb upswing, and is really all it takes.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of expectation do you have at the $4-8 game?

is it more profitable than $4-8 hold em?