Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 08:37 AM

Default 200 NL CASH (live): Call River on 4-straight board?

Hero is a friend who wanted me to post this hand.

Hero is fairly new player, plays tight/passive. Villain is LAG, with a very wide range. Villain has made big bets with big hands, but also has been caught on a couple of big bluffs fairly recently. Villain will raise preflop with any two.

Comments on all streets please.

Stacks: Hero has $180; Villain has $120.

Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB.

Pre-flop: Villain raises to $6, Hero calls.

Flop ($12 pot): K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villain bets $6, Hero calls.

Turn ($24 pot): 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villain bets $25, Hero calls.

River ($75 pot): 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, Villain bets $50, Hero ???
Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: 200 NL CASH (live): Call River on 4-straight board?

Tricky spot by the time he gets to the river...

I think a raise on the flop is called for...I'd lead out, maybe you just win the pot, but your not strong enough to play a big hand...Considering Villains' LAG status you might also run a check raise...

By the time we get to the turn I'm a bit scared...he went from betting 1/2 pot on flop to full pot on turn...that seems reverse to me, he either got stronger, or is bluffing, when he bets it that hard again on the river we've got to be beat don't we?

Too much calling going on in this hand as far as I'm concerned...a pot sized lead or a check raise to 15-20 on the flop lets you know immediately where you are at, and saves you the $25 on the turn, and possibly the $50 on the river...I don't want to lose 1/2 my stack on a pair of kings no kicker...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Woulda been nice if Hero put in a raise somwhere down the line, he played it way to passively. I think this is a fold. I doubt villian is value betting any worse hands here, so unless its a complete bluff (air) I think you gotta let this go. Next time, lead or raise flop/turn with top pair HU.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM

How tight has hero been in the BB pre and postflop? And how good is villain. This could be a bluff a big enough % of the time to make a call here if he can put your range mostly on overpair/King. If he knows he can get you off a king this seems like a likely play if he's a decent player and might be a call. Kinda tough to give good advice, given how it went down I'd have to lean towards a fold but the hand was not played very well IMO unless he is planning on calling down (I.E. villain fires 3 with a bluff often enough on that type of a board).

The thing is, some LAGs just need that turn card to fall after the c-bet w air to make a 3 street bluff, so you need to kind of know that here if he wants to call.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:01 PM

I think you have to let this go since villain can show up with any of a number of awful straights and low 2pair hands here, but like sc000t said yeah you need to riase this somewhere here.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How tight has hero been in the BB pre and postflop? And how good is villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain raises about 25% of the hands, and Hero calls maybe 50-70% of the time. Hero is pretty tight/passive post-flop, generally only calling with solid hands. He rarely raises or bluffs.

Villain is a decent player, and more experienced than Hero. Hero knows that Villain thinks Hero plays too tight/passive.

(Sorry I'm just now responding to your reply.)
Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 PM

My opinion is that Hero should have raised the flop to see where he is/protect his hand, and followed up with a turn bet mostly for protection but also to continue to test the strength of Villain's hand. If Villain is still in by river, then try to get to the showdown for free or very cheaply, folding to any further aggression.

As played, I would fold the river. There just isn't much that Hero is beating, except a bluff, but it's going to be a bluff less than 1/3 of the time.