Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: PFRing based on hand strength?

Oh yeah, my 3 bet out of the blinds is always a shut out bet, I hate to play out of position with my hand face up. I have a very tight range that I raise and/or 3 bet w/ from the blinds. I guess my hand would be less face up if my range were bigger here, but I really hate playing OOP.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, my 3 bet out of the blinds is always a shut out bet, I hate to play out of position with my hand face up. I have a very tight range that I raise and/or 3 bet w/ from the blinds. I guess my hand would be less face up if my range were bigger here, but I really hate playing OOP.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to throw in some squeeze-semi-bluff raises so that you aren't transparent.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to throw in some squeeze-semi-bluff raises so that you aren't transparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean out of the blinds? Sounds like a good strategy for higher limits, but at 10NL I think tight OOP is best.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean out of the blinds? Sounds like a good strategy for higher limits, but at 10NL I think tight OOP is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I thought you were asking what to do about being transparent though.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True for nl10. But works from nl25-nl100 and some games of nl200.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that at 200NL+ that it too becomes transparent? If so, is it still a good idea?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I never said I couldn't play pre flop just that most non 2+2er's at my limit don't play very good post flop. I can play 99 post flop allot better than a calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, I wasn't saying YOU couldn't play preflop, that part was a general comment.

The point still remains though - if you are a far better than average post flop player (and you are), then you should still be playing preflop to the best of your ability to get the maximum value out of your edge.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that at 200NL+ that it too becomes transparent? If so, is it still a good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will rapidly become transparent if it's a play you overuse. Someone watchful will see you overuse it, and you'll suddenly get a 4-bet. Just make sure you do it with strong hands. This is one of those times (and I rarely advocate this) showing a strong hand that folded everyone is good.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will rapidly become transparent if it's a play you overuse. Someone watchful will see you overuse it, and you'll suddenly get a 4-bet. Just make sure you do it with strong hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite get what you are saying here? How can you squeeze semi-bluff pre-flop with only strong hands? That is surely a 3bet for value. Doesn't NLTAP recommend squeezing with trash and simply calling with decent hands which have value in themselves?

I play $200 and I squeeze a lot and also see it a lot from others. I do so because it is so profitable and difficult to counter. It's easy to say "simply start 4 betting light", but how many have the guts to bluff re-re-raise, as it costs at least a third of a stack to do so? The answer is, not many.

Put it this way. You raise first in from the button to 4bb with Ajo, I 3bet to 14bb from BB, what do you do? What about if you raised with T9s, 77? With 100BB stacks, you can't call a 3bet for value unless you are prepared to back your read that I am squeezing and risk a decent proportion of your stack (I always 3bet monsters too).
Old 05-26-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Put it this way. You raise first in from the button to 4bb with Ajo, I 3bet to 14bb from BB, what do you do? What about if you raised with T9s, 77? With 100BB stacks, you can't call a 3bet for value unless you are prepared to back your read that I am squeezing and risk a decent proportion of your stack (I always 3bet monsters too).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats why 3betting pf is soo good (fun/profitable)