Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 02:02 AM

Default question on taking cash off the table in the middle of a game

I was at Foxwoods playing limit 4-8 hold em yesterday. I understand you are not supposed to take cash off the table in the middle of a game, but I was surprised yesterday when I tried to take $4 to go buy something from the deli. Some guy acted like I had committed a mortal sin.

I didn't realize this small amount would be an issue, if I get a drink I take a $2 chip to tip with off the table. I didn't want an argument, it wasn't really a fun table and I wanted to change anyway, so I just took my chips and left. Is it strictly enforced, even with such a small amount? I think its fairly reasonable to take a few dollars to buy food, but if its not I will just throw a couple of chips in my pocket before I put them on the table next time.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: question on taking cash off the table in the middle of a game

$4? You just ran into a real jerk. Some of these people really live for this sort of stuff. Next time somebody does that give him some grief. Sure, technically you can't do it but for $4 I'd make a joke of him.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$4? You just ran into a real jerk. Some of these people really live for this sort of stuff. Next time somebody does that give him some grief. Sure, technically you can't do it but for $4 I'd make a joke of him.

[/ QUOTE ]
He was pretty miserable. Some poor lady took a few seconds too long to try to decide whether to call a bet or not and he started slapping the table as if to wake her up. Can anybody say "anger management"?

He was down a couple of racks so I am sure that contributed to his mood, and part of me just wanted to go hand him $4 as I was leaving and tell him he was so concerned about my $4 if could have it. I didn't do it but I wanted to.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:20 AM

i'm interested to hear exactly what he said. it is probably pretty funny.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:25 AM

Some rooms have an explicit rule that you can take money off the table to buy food. I guess they view it the same as buying food at the table and tipping cocktail waitresses. I remember one player invoking this rule after taking $30-$40 off in a 4/8 game.

One night I played with a guy who kept taking $20 to go play blackjack whenever his stack got above $60. Nobody has complained, but that might be because he's such a major donator.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:30 AM

Okay, here goes. Funny thing is I remember almost verbatim. I pretty innocently grabbed 2 chips in full view of everyone and started getting up to grab a bite to eat. I wasn't trying to sneak the chips in my pocket or anything, I honestly didn't know it was wrong. I wouldn't do it if I knew it was, I would have held back a few bucks before I sat down. So I take the chips and here goes....

Angry grouchy #4 seat - Hey, where do you think you are going?
Me: (insert confused look here) Uh, to grab a bite (didn't feel I had to answer but was being polite)
#4 seat - Not with those chips you aren't!
Me: Huh?
#4 - You can't take money off the table, its a RULE
Me - oh
#4 - You have to leave the money on the table, or leave the table
Me - (still confused because it was FOUR BUCKS - walking away thinking, you suck at being a human being as bad as you suck at poker) okay goodnight
Old 05-26-2007, 02:48 AM

Well played, although giving him the $4 would've been expert.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:10 AM

how miserable. it adds to the ridiculesslessnesslessness that it's a freaking limit game. seems like this is where all the old nits gather.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 AM

Even more ridiculous, I had bought in for $200, was up over $80, so I was leaving about $280 on the table in a 4-8 game. I guess he was worried we were both gonna go heads up until we were completely all in and he was gonna get ripped off of the $4 he would win if I had a slice of pizza. I can see it now.

Him - Raise
Me - Reraise
Him - Reraise, no cap its heads up
Me - Reraise, etc. etc. etc.

Him - Nooooooo..... you took four dollars off the table, wahhhhh. I am getting ripped off. BRING BACK THE FOUR DOLLARS.....
Old 05-26-2007, 04:30 AM

Yeah, some people just live for things like this. Not only in poker. You just have to realize that it's actually quite funny, and laugh.