Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should I do now on tilt?
Smoke some more pot, talk some more trash on BBV? 9 20.93%
Move up, lose, reload, ad infinitum 24 55.81%
Quite poker forever or err just stop playing for the day 10 23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: ****OFFICIAL**** LOST Season 3 Finale Discussion -spoiler free-

[ QUOTE ]

* Predict although not a tough one that Des has lost his precog ability after Charlie wraps him in the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im surprised this hasnt been picked up more. In the Desmond flashback, didnt his reality change every time he got wacked in the head? (punched at the bar/exploded in the hatch)

rJ_
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Jack's character in the flashforward was exceptionally well done. I felt a big part of his behavior was posttrauma-like, where he was such a hero / leader during the days on the island, but upon returning to the real world, his life felt so insignificant, coupled with the clearly negative results the rescue brought. As for who the obituary was about, it seemed like this was the trigger for him to finally end it all and jump off a bridge. Ben fits better than anyone we know about already (since Ben never actually ordered the killing of Sayid etc, minor redemption points maybe...? but we don't know what else happens after a rescue or what 'new' characters it might be). Perhaps the only person that could find the island again for him. This doesn't fit with any of the plane crash survivors.

As for timelines, well...there is a brand new chief of surgery Jack hadn't met yet. If this is Jack's dad's replacement then this could be quite soon after Jack went to collect his body from Australia. Also, the whole unkempt beardy look, if Jack hasn't shaved since leaving the island, I think this flashforward is not that far in the future after the rescue. Which could make that a mid-point Jack, not the end-point Jack.

Kate in the flashforward needs little explanation. She lived undercover before the crash, it would be very easy to slip away after the rescue. Seemed like she really didn't want to have any contact with Jack after the rescue, and met him unhappily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't this whole sequence be a vision/foresight that Desmond (or Locke for that matter) have as we open Season #4. The future can be changed, as we saw Charlie live much longer than he should. So this is the vision someone has just before the helicopters come to rescue the survivors.

It would be pretty dramatic to have Locke try to stop Jack from leaving for his own good.

DUI
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Jack's character in the flashforward was exceptionally well done. I felt a big part of his behavior was posttrauma-like, where he was such a hero / leader during the days on the island, but upon returning to the real world, his life felt so insignificant, coupled with the clearly negative results the rescue brought. As for who the obituary was about, it seemed like this was the trigger for him to finally end it all and jump off a bridge. Ben fits better than anyone we know about already (since Ben never actually ordered the killing of Sayid etc, minor redemption points maybe...? but we don't know what else happens after a rescue or what 'new' characters it might be). Perhaps the only person that could find the island again for him. This doesn't fit with any of the plane crash survivors.

As for timelines, well...there is a brand new chief of surgery Jack hadn't met yet. If this is Jack's dad's replacement then this could be quite soon after Jack went to collect his body from Australia. Also, the whole unkempt beardy look, if Jack hasn't shaved since leaving the island, I think this flashforward is not that far in the future after the rescue. Which could make that a mid-point Jack, not the end-point Jack.

Kate in the flashforward needs little explanation. She lived undercover before the crash, it would be very easy to slip away after the rescue. Seemed like she really didn't want to have any contact with Jack after the rescue, and met him unhappily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't this whole sequence be a vision/foresight that Desmond (or Locke for that matter) have as we open Season #4. The future can be changed, as we saw Charlie live much longer than he should. So this is the vision someone has just before the helicopters come to rescue the survivors.

It would be pretty dramatic to have Locke try to stop Jack from leaving for his own good.

DUI

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be, though I think it extremely unlikely. The problem with this kind of thing is that the audience isn't going to respond well to things that are a big deal like that just being visions that somebody had. We've had people hallucinating and things like that but if Jack's flash forward didn't actually happen and we find that out later that would both piss off a lot of fans and make watching the show later far less fun as every bizarre thing could just be someones dream. They're going to avoid that type of thing I think.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

* Predict although not a tough one that Des has lost his precog ability after Charlie wraps him in the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im surprised this hasnt been picked up more. In the Desmond flashback, didnt his reality change every time he got wacked in the head? (punched at the bar/exploded in the hatch)

rJ_

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep coming back to this thread thinking everything has been said, but this is pretty cool and hadn't thought about it.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 PM

Why is everyone assuming that Claire getting on a helicopter = rescue? They could be taking her to the boat for god knows what, the other side of the island, or who knows where.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone assuming that Claire getting on a helicopter = rescue? They could be taking her to the boat for god knows what, the other side of the island, or who knows where.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually am more inclined to think that its not in a rescue scenario. The real question for me is if this is the case, does Desmond know this before Charlie dies. Some of the times that Charlie said things like "You sure you saw Claire getting rescused?" I wasn't sure about Desmond's response.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rJ_

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this may have just been a device used by the writers. I don't think every time someone punches Desmond in the head he goes back in time.

Also the whole "I don't trust Desmond" line that many seem to have seems quite bizare. The dude has gone out of his way to try and save Charlie over and over eventhough he may think it is a lost cause. He even saved him when he believed Penny was going to be the girl in the parachute.

I don't think Charlie's death shows that it was his ultimate fate and that what is going to happen has to happen, which is kind of funny given weren't those the words he had written on his knuckles in the first couple of episodes?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Furthermore they've never done anything of the like. We've only rarely seen glimpses of flashbacks, and never really got anything similar to the flash forward.

What is much more likely is what we are seeing is not the "future," but the present - and what is going on on the island are the flashbacks.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:02 AM

Question:

What does Ben's spinal injury now say about him, the island, and his relationship with it and/or Jacob?

We've seen the island/Jacob heal Mikhail, Naomi, Locke, et al. But Ben was going to die, it seemed. In retrospect, is this further evidence that Ben's relationship with the island/Jacob is eroding?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, random question: how is it that the water doesn't rush up into the bottom of the Looking Glass station?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Air pressuve vs. water pressure. Did you guys never play with cups in the bath as a kid? It's related to how metal boats float.