Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Ipods

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
zomgz, price, video, zomgz a major corporation doesn't make a product exactly tailored to my wants and needs? I cant order an ipod with exactly 13.5 gigs??? OH NOOSSSSSS

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep trying. Eventually you'll get the right answer or at least make someone laugh. I have faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe you have no answer?

Please SoulDaddy enlighten me as to why people can't just tough it out and deal with the decent selection options already out there for mp3 players as opposed to trying to work in new technology that will up cost and take away from simplicity (the ipods strong suit) all so someone can bump their nano capacity from 2k songs to 2.1k songs. I'm dying to know O' Great One.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe it's the hdd vs flash difference that makes your "omg why not just buy a bigger one" statement pointless.

Jesus, you are a complete douche. I should have just left you alone like I do every other moran on this site, but you just irked me and now look what I've started.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to reply semi-seriously to this:

1- Its a [censored] Ipod. You realize that? This is a thread about opinions on Ipods.... small electronic gadgets. Not racism, not cancer research, Ipods.

2- The reason why Apple has dominated the mp3 market with the Ipod line is simple: simplicity. Most people do not care what the memory specs are. Most people don't even want to debate the merits of hardware. Most people just care if it works or not. People buy things that are easy to use, dependable (maybe not so much with the Ipods), relatively cheap, and that they have a use for. Some people want cell phones that can morph and take on transformers like qualities; other people just want a phone that works, is reliable, and oh yeah texting would be cool. I had made a mistake in assuming that people would guess that the reason Ipods are such a big deal is that Apple tried to make mp3's more avaliable to the average person. Junior High School girls who buy Ipods in droves really wont care if we're talking hdd or flash.

3- Keeping #2 in mind why heavily argue for an add-on that would increase complexity, and to some uncertain degree price, when many of the positives of this add-on can be found within the product line already (more capacity, etc).

4- Personally I have an Ipod so that I can listen to music without skipping while I lift or run. I personally do not see much value in card options. I have already explained why I think exploring this option or any other technical option strays away from Apple's approach to the Ipod and perhaps technology in general (making is accesible even if that means dumbing down the specs a bit; sounds harsh but sales wise it works).

5- Did I mention this is an Ipod. A $2-300 consumer item... calm down, learn to take a joke, learn that throwing around tech terms about memory specs gets you nowhere with people that know what you're talking about but simply dont much care. Write in to Popular Science magazine if you like. Don't try to take a higher than though tone with people who understand technology (I own a computer I built, sometimes run linux, and like the rest of 2p2 don't think the internet is a series of tubes) and simply want stuff that works without options we may not be interested in simply because you are. If you gave even this forum a choice of a $75 markup on Ipod prices for this option vs. continued innovation and adjustment within a proven format I think the results would be simple... and keep in mind 2p2 is on the whole more tech savy/interested than the average consumer.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:10 PM

Rearden, I'll try to make this real simple, his point was that you cannot use the larger ipods with a hard drive for running and other activities. The ipod nano uses flash memory, which doesn't break nearly as easily. Therefore, it would be nice if such a product did exist. Get it?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 PM

Rumors are the iPhone will sell a million units in it's first 3 months and in the Autumn Apple will be releasing a new line of iPods with the same screen size as the iPhone.

Carry on
Old 05-25-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in my thread, i will use any analogies i want.

or here's one: gtfo

never mind, that's just me telling you to gtfo and not clutter the already sizeable thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban from earth
Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 PM

I think that's perhaps an exaggeration. I don't punt my Ipod. I also think everyone realizes that dropping it is not a good idea. Suggesting that I cant move when using mine is a bit over the top. Regardless of it being a nano or my 80 I dont expect problems with it in a secure arm band thing while squatting; and I only use my nano for running anyway for size reasons.

Also we were in part discussing memory slots and add-ons as well as other concepts in the thread (mini attatched speakers, wireless connections, etc). If we're discussing safety and product stability do you have any data as to how memory expansion slots/card can fare in active use? (I do not but I know my current system works)

I was never so much talking about the internal composition of an ipod changing with respect to memory type but rather the optional slot/card choice that some were mentioning.

Additionally, you didnt address any of my points as to simplicity being perhaps key in this market.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:24 PM

the best thing i love about my 80 gb vid ipod is the fact that it will be sent to me by stars for free
Old 05-25-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speakers are a horrible idea - you'd never get enough sound out of them to be worth anything.

The best thing an iPod could improve on IMO would be, in order:

- drag&drop file copying like a normal USB memory stick
- anything but itunes
- FM tuner
- better quality earbuds
-

[/ QUOTE ]

Already done. It is called a Zen Vision.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speakers are a horrible idea - you'd never get enough sound out of them to be worth anything.

The best thing an iPod could improve on IMO would be, in order:

- drag&drop file copying like a normal USB memory stick
- anything but itunes
- FM tuner
- better quality earbuds
-

[/ QUOTE ]

Already done. It is called a Zen Vision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Don't forget:
-No itunes
-Higher quality video screen
-Better EQ and higher quality DA converters
-No itunes
-Much more compatibility with common audio and video formats
-No itunes
-No itunes
Old 05-25-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as iTunes - I don't really get the bad rap. I think it's a very good player. I don't even have an iPod. I'm weird - I use iTunes to manage my library/playlists, but listen to everything with Winamp. The only thing that stops me from using it as a player is that I can't shrink it down to a slim bar and/or auto-hide the playlist like winamp can. It does lack the open source add ons, but I don't think I even use any in Winamp. I love that it has built-in volume normalizer and gapless playback, which I could never seem to get working effectively in Winamp.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of the people complaining about itunes aren't sure why they don't like itunes.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread escalated quickly. I mean it really got out of hand fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! Reardon had a trident!