Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Who gambles online?

I should also have mentioned that, as regards the question about our allegience, we are just researchers who want to find out about online gambling. We have no predefined agenda with respect to the current regulatory framework in Europe or elsewhere.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM

I got this...

[ QUOTE ]
Your responses suggest that you may have concerns in the following area(s):-
Substance use can expand to thinking excessively about drugs (e.g. planning when you can next get them or take them). It might also mean needing to take bigger doses get the same effect or feeling unwell (e.g. sweating or having muscular aches) when you try to cut down your drug use. You may, nevertheless, carry on using drugs even though this causes problems for you or your family

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOL
Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 PM

RIGT... lol

Yeah, I completed the survey, but it is very badly worded in almost all places.

Virtually all questions leave no option for positive comments about gambling. It's all questions like "on a scale of 1-5, how harmful has gambling been in your life"

Of course I exaggerate slighlty. 1 usually indicates something like "gambling has not been harmful at all" but still. Not all questions are this generous, and even if they all were, the survey would nevertheless present a negatively skewed outcome.

If all people who consider gambling a boon in their life basically can only express that gambling hasn't done them any harm, then the net outcome of such a survey will be guaranteed to express that gambling is harmful.

Regards
Brad S
Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks for coming back and answering our questions Joanne.

I'm glad to hear you had good reason to phrase the questions that way. I hope you understand, though, that "spending" money on gambling does not compute. You "win" money or "lose" money. It leads to nonsense answers such as never spending money on online gambling, but yet spending 4 hours a day doing it. Then you get into people trying to answer the question they think you are asking, so each respondent is answering a different question. You are setting yourself up for garbage data.

There are other semantic issues. Like "when you lose, do you play another day" versus "when you lose, do you try to make it back" which will also not get you the information you're looking for.

Just my two cents, since you asked.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 PM

This survey does not seem target to successful poker players. I gamble with alot of money every day but only made an initial $50 investment several years ago. I probably spend hundreds every day in tournament buy-ins but I certainly dont consider this money spent on gambling. Money flows out but no money is flowing in. There is quite a large difference between successful poker players and "problem" gamblers.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This survey succcccckkkkkkkssssssssss...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried finishing it, sucks big time
Old 05-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Personally, although badly worded in parts for particular types of gambling, I do NOT think this survey sucks! Joanne has clearly based it on previous research and the intentions are noble... i don't get why poker student and the other guy (soz, forgot your name!) say it sucks... what is it that sucks? the intentions? the questions? the results?

anyway, fairplay and well done Joanne and OII - I am chuffed that people like you care this much!!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tried finishing it, sucks big time

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost didn't finish it myself.

It's worth finishing though (well, maybe not) because then you finally get to put comments into the survey.

If every +EV gambler out there doesn't even finish the survey, it's even more skewed than it already seems.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 PM

After looking at their website, this RIGT (lol) organization's purpose seems to be to research gambling addiction, not gambling in general. This is why the questions will be designed to determine whether or not you're a problem gambler, not whether or not you're a good poker player. 2+2 is not a good place to research gambling addiction.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:16 PM

just because you're good at it doesnt mean you're not addicted! I'm a GREAT drinker!! lols
Closed Thread