Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: taking green card

[ QUOTE ]

to be honest, this whole forum has entirely too much country-club attitude, which also is the worse thing about golfers in general.

pretty sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the average poster on this forum who whines and moans about municipal golf should join a private club and get on the board so they can have some say in these type of matters.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

to be honest, this whole forum has entirely too much country-club attitude, which also is the worse thing about golfers in general.

pretty sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the average poster on this forum who whines and moans about municipal golf should join a private club and get on the board so they can have some say in these type of matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would but i travel too much for this to be feasible. thanks for the advice though.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the USA. No green card needed to play golf [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's also why 6 hour rounds are the norm on weekends on public courses

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I was actually joking around. I had no idea that some countries made you pass a test before you can step foot on the course so I thought the op was crazy. This is a great idea imo. We could block off tee times on the weekends for certain handicaps. Send the good players off at say 9-12:00 or so and then let the hacks and the women clog the course up after that. I like the combined handicap idea also.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God, I LOVE that idea!

the worse you do on the test, the later your tee times have to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately it's a pass/fail test [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

but a lot of european courses (at least northern european?) address the problem by limiting the cumulative handicap of groups. usually it's something like 84 for parties of 4 and 96 for parties of 3. it's a nice change from american munis where they allow 5 complete donkeys on the course in the same group.

[/ QUOTE ]

you sound like a real fun guy to golf with.

pretty sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree here. I havent posted much in this playground, but have learned a lot, and saw a lot of this attitude. Im freaking terrible but I go to have fun, not to freakin zip thorugh my round and then go brag about how good I shot etc etc. Why would you want to hurry golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

As one of the posters here probably responsible for the "country-club" attitude, let me respond. I play a lot of golf. I understand that you may play less, or that you may not be as good. I have no problem with that, so long as you are considerate. And if the course is full, being considerate means understanding that you have to keep up with the course. This means that you have to be on or near the tail of the group in front of you at all times.

A golf couse is like a single-lane road with no turnouts. If you drive below the speed limit, all the rest of the traffic stacks up behind you. If you can't drive the speed limit without, as you say, playing "hurry golf," then get off the road. Drive it sometime when there isn't so much traffic.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God, I LOVE that idea!

the worse you do on the test, the later your tee times have to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately it's a pass/fail test [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

but a lot of european courses (at least northern european?) address the problem by limiting the cumulative handicap of groups. usually it's something like 84 for parties of 4 and 96 for parties of 3. it's a nice change from american munis where they allow 5 complete donkeys on the course in the same group.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree here. I havent posted much in this playground, but have learned a lot, and saw a lot of this attitude. Im freaking terrible but I go to have fun, not to freakin zip thorugh my round and then go brag about how good I shot etc etc. Why would you want to hurry golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

As one of the posters here probably responsible for the "country-club" attitude, let me respond. I play a lot of golf. I understand that you may play less, or that you may not be as good. I have no problem with that, so long as you are considerate. And if the course is full, being considerate means understanding that you have to keep up with the course. This means that you have to be on or near the tail of the group in front of you at all times.

A golf couse is like a single-lane road with no turnouts. If you drive below the speed limit, all the rest of the traffic stacks up behind you. If you can't drive the speed limit without, as you say, playing "hurry golf," then get off the road. Drive it sometime when there isn't so much traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been golfing since I was 9 when I took lessons. I've played just about every 'style' of course, including CC's.

I know golf etiquette like the back of my hand and the #1 rule imo is allowing your party to feel comfortable with the game, surroundings and other players.

Getting pissed off about slow play only hurts your own game.

Polite nudging goes a long ways.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:08 PM

To be fair, since I know I am not hte best I also have no qualm of picking up my ball and placing it in a better spot to help move along the round. I try to avoid this but if I hit a bad shot out of the tee box ill usually just play the best ball hit. If the rest of my party (usually 2 of my friends and a 4th) are on or near the green and im still far out and my approach is bad ill often just pick up and go to the next hole.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i generally don't like golfing with people who are so clueless about golf that they use "golf" as a verb.

so you're right, you probably wouldn't enjoy golfing with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 AM

This is an awesome idea, and I'm sure 90% of people disagree with me, but I'd love to see something like this implemented everywhere, even if it's just on etiquette.