Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: EDF business project : manpurse

[ QUOTE ]
This is the solution:

The Gadget Shoulder Holster

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks like a potentially cool/popular design to me. Now steal it, make some modifications, upgrade materials, raise the price, and market it to the "fashionable" people.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:30 AM

On Engadget this morning: hipHolster
Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're in SF or NYC, anything else generally goes in the car and only gets carried for a short distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is correct: car = man purse.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got a murse, bought few months ago for $1,200

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe someone would actually pay $1200 for something that ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's amazing, from wikipedia, 1% of all bags ensigned with the louis vitton logo are authentic, the rest are counterfeits.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 AM

El D,

I don't feel there is a viable market for the man purse.

I personally would never use one, not because I feel they're associated with femininity, but because I don't want to lug around that much [censored]. I have a money clip and cell phone. That's it. Everything else stays home.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tron,

I think maybe a little smaller than the sackpack. Also, a little snugger to the body.

For anyone doubting the viablity of making this happen, if they can get lots of guys to wear these:

I don't see any reason why this should be any harder.

Seriously, thanks to everyone for all your suggestions so far. This has definitely been a very big help in helping with some directions to focus on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo - I think the key is that these are unique and almost absurd in a way.

So say you wanted the "sack pack" idea. I would go with something with bright colors and maybe even stupid sayings on it. Something more comfortable than the rope that is there now. And not that plastic type stuff. Maybe a canvas or something more durable and less cheap feeling.

Just another leather bag but a different shape isn't going to do anything. Lime green bags with a red/white stripe across the middle with a clever name and a super minimalist approach is what you're looking for.

I'm thinking magnets to keep it closed - but wait would that effect the computer? Maybe velcro then. Very few clips and strings etc. And CHEAP i think if you want them to be a big deal.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Um, ever hear of Jack Spade? He's pretty much got this market cornered...

Also, there are plenty of smallish, specialized European bag companies that make stuff for men. One that comes to mind and doesn't look "feminine" is Bree.

Nevertheless, when I was buying a messenger bag to fit my new laptop I was unimpressed with the lack of choices, and similar business ideas definitely came to mind...

Also, I just remembered seeing something that may be relevant here. It was a vintage Swedish Army bag, pretty small and made of that tough cloth and beige army color. No one would question that bag's masculinity...not in its overall design, color, texture, function, etc. I have no doubt that something like this can succeed.

Best regards
Old 06-23-2007, 02:37 PM

I work in a design firm, and several of the guys there bring their sketching/working tools in small neoprene-like semi-rigid bags (maybe about 4"x8" with a zipper). The small pouches don't look out of place at all. I never really thought about them as a man purse, but now I'm thinking it wouldn't be so bad.

I threw the idea out to some strategic branding guys at my work, and they seem to think it could fly if done right. I think most everybody in this tread is right though. It would be a tough sell.

My take on it is that it doesn't have to be a radically different design from pouches/bags/portfolios out there. Anything "new" will probably just be hokey and weird. If I were to design a bag like this I would look at the purse market and figure out what characteristics/traits make a purse a purse. Whatever that turns out, avoid those key traits and go from there.

I really think it would come down to something simple with an emphasis on materials and finishes. Obviously it would have a great form language with some sweet functional details (think closing latch on Apple laptops). The "cool factor" of a great closing/opening detail, alone, could make this concept work. That and plus some smart organization inside, and it's good to go.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Hell, I might take a shot at this. I'll send you some sketches when I get there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]