Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Hand reading and fatigue

I have noticed a distrubing pattern. Whenever I make a fantstic read and either get away, or win a huge pot (in live NL) fatigue sets in rather quickly.

Now I know what to do about it once it does happen, but I just don't understand it. I've had to either take a long break, or quite some really good games because of it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Is there something I can do to stop it before it happens?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Hand reading and fatigue

I think its the after affects of the adrenaline speaking. You get the high, then you get the low.

So, i just try to forget the highs. WHen i rake in a big one, i just think about my play. Was it good/bad (esp. the situation when the money went in)? Did i suck out, or string the victims along?.

When i think (as opposed to feeling, and thinking im the greatest), i can rationalise the high.

Then, you can rationalise the lows.

eg. I had kk cracked by the worst player on the table, all in with KQ off pf!. But, i can realise i was >90% to win, minimise the emotions, thank him for the game, and get up and leave, and not act like most of the retards who need to whinge and whine about their bad beats and crud luck.

If you can minimise your feelings of greatness when you win, and minimise your feelings of stupidness and tiltness when you lose, you will be more even keeled, and will not suffer the mental fatigue.

Easier said than done, but give it a few more thousand hands and youll be fine!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed a distrubing pattern. Whenever I make a fantstic read and either get away, or win a huge pot (in live NL) fatigue sets in rather quickly.
Now I know what to do about it once it does happen, but I just don't understand it. I've had to either take a long break, or quite some really good games because of it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Is there something I can do to stop it before it happens? [/quote

Yes, they call me apple at most games, because I allways have a couple of apples at the table. They work better than tee or coffie for waking you up. when the tiredness hits me I eat one, works every time.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they call me apple at most games, because I allways have a couple of apples at the table. They work better than tee or coffie for waking you up. when the tiredness hits me I eat one, works every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That woud suggest that this is a function of low blood sugar, which kinda makes sense.

Worth a try, thanks.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Might want to concentrate on breathing properly ...

... I used to feel that and would yawn alot. It stopped when I concentrated on breathing
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 PM

make sure it is in fact fatigue. Sometimes when I'm in a bunch of tournaments and I win one, I get so excited that its hard to concentrate on the others. Or it could be the downswing of emotions after the high either makes me tired or unable to focus.