Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 01:22 PM

Default NLTRN $100 - pocket deuces on a paired board

The opponent has been very aggressive. He goes allin or folds right away. Opponent could have any two on this hand. What do you think of this raise? Against any two I have about 47% chance of winning on this flop which is a bit suprising but I think most of the time opponent has to fold here. Thoughts?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: t1845
Hero: t1155

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t150)</font>.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t200, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t600 ...</font>
Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: NLTRN $100 - pocket deuces on a paired board

[ QUOTE ]
The opponent has been very aggressive. He goes allin or folds right away. Opponent could have any two on this hand. What do you think of this raise? Against any two I have about 47% chance of winning on this flop which is a bit suprising but I think most of the time opponent has to fold here. Thoughts?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: t1845
Hero: t1155

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t150)</font>.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t200, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t600 ...</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not jam? It's not like you can fold to a reraise. I like your line, though. Even a maniac who'd call with any 2 preflop probably isn't going to call you with (for example) QJ or A3 on this flop. If he's crazy enough to do that, you have to fold and hope you get a hand before you get blinded off.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:10 PM

If he'll call you with A3/QJ, then you jam. Right?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 PM

Er..yeah. However unlikely it is, don't you actually *want* QJ and A3 to call here, as long as it's not A3 hearts or QJ hearts, both of which are favorites over you?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2007, 02:51 PM

What do you mean when you say "he goes all in or folds right away"? Do you mean when he bets a flop, by the end of the hand he always gets to be all in?

Also, does his full pot flop bet tell you anything based on what hands of his you've seen shown down before after various size flop bets.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:25 PM

PSB on flop doesn't really tell too much. That "he goes allin or folds right away" read means that if he shows aggression (other than basic cbets) he is almost always allin on later streets. So basically this problem is mathematic and looks like I make a right decision when I CR the money in.

The reason I check raise to $600 is psychological. I will be allin later however but that raise to $600 looks a bit more scarier than shove to allin imo so I can prolly get a few more hands to fold if my opponent thinks the same way I think.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:08 PM

Does he ever fold his SB and are all his raises 2BB and what is his PFR % in SB? It sounds like he is probably very aggresive with overcards and any draws, I think you have to go all in if you raise here, because how will you know if he thinks you are making a move and he then reraises with something like AK/Q/J/10. Because if he's an aggressive player I think he will tend to think you are more aggressive than you actually are, just like I also think that tight players don't adjust enough against loose players because they find it hard to believe just how loose some of them are.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM

I don't like it since you're probably dodging more than his 2 overs (a 9, any other 2 pairing cards, any of his cards) but I guess a jam is alright... I think you need FE to make this worthwhile though