Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Rep chairman petitioning Ron Paul from debate 3 HELP

[ QUOTE ]
Great Ron Paul video here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91565012624048

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the link, being a semi liberal I didnt know I had so much in common with a conservative, lol
Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna write an email to Paul's campaign with some suggestions for what points to make and language to use in the next debate. I know I'm just another political junkie with an opinion, but hopefully since it's a grass roots campaign that's not controlled by big corporation, they'll read and consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ron Paulonly spent $100k on his campaign in the 1st quarter. Ron Paul might personally read the e-mail because he can't afford any staff. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Paul would kill to get that big campaign aparatus that you despise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure, but I dont think Dr. Paul will accept contributions from corporations. He seems pretty against the grain.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the link, being a semi liberal I didnt know I had so much in common with a conservative, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not a conservative, and he's not a liberal; he's a libertarian. That means he respects your civil liberties and your economic liberties. He believes that as an adult, you should enjoy freedom of choice - and accept the responsibility to live with whatever consequences may arise. It's a great philosophy.

Unfortunately, he's not gifted with the ability to articulate his arguments with proper respect for the gravity of the issues - in stark contrast to, for example, the wonderfully eloquent Libertarian presidential candidate, the late Harry Browne (RIP).

So agree or not, this particular libertarian (me) will be happy when he's shown the door; we need candidates who don't embarrass us. One of the reasons people think libertarians are wackos is because --- so many of us are! Lots of the folks who really care about liberty are out on the fringe. But that doesn't mean we need to put the more egregious examples out in front...
Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not a conservative, and he's not a liberal; he's a libertarian. That means he respects your civil liberties and your economic liberties. He believes that as an adult, you should enjoy freedom of choice - and accept the responsibility to live with whatever consequences may arise. It's a great philosophy.

Unfortunately, he's not gifted with the ability to articulate his arguments with proper respect for the gravity of the issues - in stark contrast to, for example, the wonderfully eloquent Libertarian presidential candidate, the late Harry Browne (RIP).

So agree or not, this particular libertarian (me) will be happy when he's shown the door; we need candidates who don't embarrass us. One of the reasons people think libertarians are wackos is because --- so many of us are! Lots of the folks who really care about liberty are out on the fringe. But that doesn't mean we need to put the more egregious examples out in front...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it is a far cry to say that someone may not be the best at articulating an argument to calling them a wacko. Perhaps you would be happier with his written message. You should read his speeches in congress for the last several terms before calling him a wacko.

For the people who are interested in Ron's political actions, I suggest his reading his many articles here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html ( I apologize if this link has already been posted here). But some of the articles include speeches he has made on the House floor. And those are really worth taking a look at. It shows not just what he is saying to get elected but what he has said in Congress for the past decade or two or three.

The man has done more for this country to promote liberty than anyone in the past few decades and just because you don't like his manner of speech you can't wait to see him get kicked out of this race? He is getting people talking about liberty and concepts that have been buried. He is awakening the country. To many he is being seen as a hero, as a man who is the only one speaking the truth. Do a Google News search of his name and you may get a different perspective. Only the real wackos out there are calling him a wacko. In fact, the more he is called a wacko, the more people are attacking the attackers instead of falling for it this time.

The spin doctors have had to put so much spin on his comments (like saying that he said that America invited the attacks when he didn't even come close to saying that) that people are beginning to see through the spin. It is pretty hard to defend the Mayor of New York for claiming that he has never heard the term blowback or the official reason the terrorists claim they attacked us. Either he is supremely ignorant or a liar. Either way, he is the one that ended up looking bad. Especially when ten minutes later the country voted Ron number one in a poll. I know polls don't mean much, but it is clear his message is coming across.

He is speaking truth and that resonates with people. He is actually doing a pretty good job of showing how much of a wacko Rudy is and the rest of the Republican party. He has the whole country buzzing about concepts of liberty and the Constitution and non-interventionist foreign policy. How can that be bad?

Not all of the people talking about Dr. Paul are like Sean Hannity. The Libertarian message is all over the Internet and is speeches in Congress. (See my last link). He may not win a toastmasters contest, but his message is clear and very consistent.

He is the number one searched term on Google these days. His website is getting more hits than any other candidate dem or rep. That is great! Then people who have never heard of the Libertarian message can hear it. And maybe they will do more searching and find Libertarians such as Harry Browne, whom I agree was a most eloquent speaker. The world will miss Harry, but if Ron can get out the message or just get people to hear about Harry, then it is all good.

For those of you who are wondering who this Harry Browne guy is, he ran for President on a Libertarian ticket twice and you can read more about him here: http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html and here
http://www.harrybrowne.org/

Harry was a master speaker and explains Libertarianism as well as anyone I have ever heard. He is worth reading, and hearing.

I think you may want to give Ron another try. Go to his website: http://www.ronpaul2008.com/ Listen to a lot of his speeches. He does much better when he has a few minutes to explain himself. It is very hard to get Libertarian concepts across to a nation who has never heard them before in a 30 second spot.