Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Why should God be any more believable than the Tooth Fairy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well guess what I just had a tooth fairy experience, she was wearing a bikini and flashed her boobs to me and then one thing led to antoher and wow it was an unreal experience,

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you are telling the truth. Of course I can't know for sure. Neither can you know if I'm telling the truth about my experience. But I know my experience intimately. And your speculations about it don't change that.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to tell us more about your experiences?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was responding in a Role to the Role he was playing.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, since we are on the subject, have you had any? and would you like to share?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is the story of my life. You can read about it if I ever write the book. Meanwhile, what you see of me here is what you get. I suggest you read all of my posts in the archives. I'm waiting for Arahant to offer me a couple of million for the publishing rights to them.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Not what i was hoping for but thanks anyway.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-25-2007, 02:31 AM

Any time I need the board to pair I just make a booty call to the tooth fairy, and she's more than happy to supply her pair.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should God be any more believable than the Tooth Fairy?

[/ QUOTE ]

S/He/it should be more unbelievable than the tooth fairy. The existence or non-existence of the tooth fairy has never in any way contradicted my observations of the world, whereas the notion of an a benevolent and omnipotent god, patently does. Of course if that god is ether non-benevolent or non-omnipotent, or both, I'll accept its existence as a shortcut notation for what I don't know, but I won't fall on my knees worshiping s/he/it, or calling black, white, by saying s/he/it is benevolent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And if so, do you see why we're running in circles here and that God cannot be proved or disproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not claiming proof of anything. But people were saying things that didn't make sense. As far as I could tell, they were saying that Religious experiences must be bogus because God doesn't exist. Therefore, since religious experiences are bogus, God must be the fantasy spun by people unable to accept the unknown. People saying that are just making a Proclamation and dressing it up in an argument whose conclusion is its premise. My point here is a point of logic. That's all.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. It's a pity you didn't answer my other questions though. What about this, do you think religious experiences are subjective?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i didn't think it was that subtle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry Sephus, my brain is fried today. Can you tell me which of the eight or so definitions of "subtle" you're using here? I'm lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

arahant was spoofing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad thing is that it's hard to tell, since there are many that would be serious saying something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. My bad. I've heard it nearly word-for-word before. His spoof was spot on. Sorry arahant, although I'm certain you got a good laugh out of your total and complete leveling of me.