Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Default NL50 - Flopped Set Turns Quads OOP

Some notes first: I've been hammering this table from the blinds. Some of them have just started limping/playing back at me a bit, so I'm changing gears. That's why the limp from my BB. Villain is 24/3/1 over 125 hands, so passive, but is winning 75% of 36% at showdown. My big fear is that he's just plain happy about checking down the river based on his passivity. Short of leading the flop is there any other ideas about how to actually stack him? Was I just too cute here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($69.15)
UTG ($20.75)
MP ($47.40)
Button ($92.25)
SB ($12.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($5.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($15.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font> but wonders if check-raising is better here.

What say you all?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: NL50 - Flopped Set Turns Quads OOP

Bet flop, bet turn, bet river. Having not bet the flop, c/r it.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:09 PM

You need to get $70 in the middle. You can't do that without 4 bets. You need to raise somewhere. I think you really needed to raise the flop. You might have lost out on the $5 on the turn, but so what. You aren't after $5, you are after $70.

Flop raise to $5. That leaves $11.

On the turn, lead for $11, that will leave $33 in the pot if he calls.

On the river, lead for pot sized bet.

You have a monster, don't play for the extra bet, play for his stack.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:18 PM

Preflop: I know it was a special situation for you, but I think this hand illustrates exactly why you want to raise in these situations. Pocket pairs become monsters when helped and stacking people is much more difficult in unraised pots (although we don't really know if you could have stacked him given how the hand played out).

Flop: Bet or check-raise. With two behind if the table's at all aggressive I think you're fine with the check-raise, but the flop is not at all uncoordinated so you want to push out draws, I think. After the rest of the hand your line is "bet and hope for calls or raises."

As played:

Turn: Reraise it; this is no longer a c-bet. He has a hand and you need to get value out of him.

River: There's alread ~$15 in the pot, so I'd lead with a little more, in the $12-$15 range (read dependent). Without a monster your villain could easily check it down and so I think this is the most obvious place where you must lead.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 PM

You played this like you dont like money.

Lead flop. C/C is bad.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:59 PM

Wow, you just lost value bigtime ..

Definitely bet flop, even because of the FD there. I'd probably c/r turn if possible, then bet the river. Damn.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some notes first: I've been hammering this table from the blinds. Some of them have just started limping/playing back at me a bit, so I'm changing gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

A major goal of playing like that is getting people to then pay off your big hands because they think you're full of [censored]. So when you flop a set and turn quads, maybe you should stay in the aggressive gear for a bit, particularly when you think they're inclined to play back.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Yeah, short of open-folding the turn I don't think I could've played this hand worse. I knew that before posting, but I need to see it in writing sometimes to quantify me thinking. BTW, the laggy style that I was employing up to this point was brand spanking new to me. I'm trying to have more than a nittish TAG gear. Lesson learned.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM

I like reraising preflop with most pocket pairs.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM

Edit: raising not reraise sorry.