Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Handwired Guitar Amplifiers?

[ QUOTE ]

Actually I would think it means no circuit boards... Everything wired point-to-point. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 05-24-2007, 03:39 PM

GC isn't that bad, esp if you know what you are looking for. The one I go to has some pretty knowledgeable people and I've built 2 guitars and am working on my first effects pedal. The only thing I don't like is the upselling 'Do you need (insert guitar accessory here) with that (purchased item)' about 15 time before actually buying it.

To the OP, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between a reissue and an original, handwired or not, but if you're looking for a specific sound I would bring my guitar + effects in to the store and just start plugging into the amps up there and figure out what you like.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:16 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I would think it means no circuit boards... Everything wired point-to-point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand-Wired Board [Breadboard](wires soldered from
one point to another)

Printed Circuit Board
(where the circuitry is etched from copper
sheets within the board itself, no wires soldered
from point to point.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:32 PM

Sounds like the Guitar Center jerk was just pulling typical guitar store employee elitist BS on you.

From followthemusic's link posted earlier:
"Point-to-point (also called "PTP") - A method of wiring an amplifier without using a PC board, where the components are mounted on terminal strips or tube sockets lugs, and the wiring is put in by hand to make the circuit connections. Widely regarded as "sounding better" than PCB because of supposedly higher bandwidth, but this is a myth, as PCB's are regularly used into the MHz region. PTP wiring is generally better than PCB for guitar amps mainly because of ease of maintenance and durability. The most common modern example of PTP wiring is a Matchless amplifier. However, many "purists" will insist this is not a "true" point-to-point amp, because it uses terminal strips for some of the connections instead of wiring all parts using only socket and other component lugs. These people are generally deluded and have too much time on their hands."