Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 12:02 AM

Default river play - trips vs. possible flush just hit

Villian is sligtly loose. Not bad post-flop.

I checked the flop because I do have TP but I wasn't convinced I was way ahead vs. 5 players and I wanted to see the turn cheaply.

The turn is good, but I was confused on the river and I think this is a weakness in my game. Is the proper line here c/c or b/f?

Comments on other streets are obviously welcome, too.

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3.00 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (5.00 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

Final Pot: 7.00 BB.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: river play - set vs. possible flush just hit

Minor nit, you have trips not a set. Check call the river.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:10 AM

I don't like your flop check here. It sure as hell won't make any later street easier to play if a Ten or higher hits. I think you bet the flop, and go from there.

Not betting the flop has you in the jam you are in on the river. You "let" a flush draw in so to speak.

So you're heads up on the end - I go ahead and bet. I think you'll get called plenty of times by enough 7's 8's and Kings to make it worth while.

Since you didn't bet the flop - I don't think you can bet fold the river because a person could easily be raising a King on the end putting you on a 7 or an 8.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 AM

My bad on the set/trips.

Yeah, I see what you mean re. letting the flush draw come along for free by not betting the flop, but I'm not sure leading out against 5 villains on that board is a real winner either. I need to dodge a ton of overcards and 6s. If any of those hits on the turn I c/f.

I'm not 100% sure checking the flop is the right play, but I'm also not sure that leading out is the way to go either. Is that just weak flop play on my part?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 AM

If you bet the flop and get callers you know who is on the straight draw and who has a part of the board, you may also get rid of suited crap.

You don't know anyone has the straight on the turn because you didn't bet the flop and get check raised so you probably have the best hand but are weak to re-draws. You can't protect your hand by checking so bet. Whoever comes along has some kind of draw or a weaker made hand than yours (probably, you could get someone super slow playing their straight).

On the river a pretty popular draw just came in so if you are behind you want to lose the least amount of money, check call.