Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Need recommendations on entertainment center - HDTV and Sound

I would also like to hook my computer up to the tv as well, for games and poker, but only occasionally.

As for sound, it's not as important as the picture for me, but I'm really not sure. I would probably like to spend around $500, and style is not too much of an issue. I just want good movie sound.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:02 PM

Just for personal feedback, I've enjoyed the 42" and 46" Sony Bravia LCD's I've seen regularly in our corporate office and in some of our properties. Contrast seems good even in a bright sunny room, and sports and everything else have looked good on it. Note I don't own these, nor did I make the buying choice, so I don't have the personal bias that tends to limit the usefulness of a lot of personal reviews. Just relating my experience so far.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:05 PM

You pretty much have to go LCD if you want to hook your computer up.

Then soundwise your best bet is probably a HTIB system. I am not as familiar with these as I am with component systems, but you should reserach at avsforum.com. I know that most systems from Yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon are pretty decent. The only other option I can think of is that you buy this receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SA-XR55S...6073&sr=1-2, and 3 pairs of these speakers: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...=1138085354138. You will then still have to spend about $150 on a subwoofer to get a great system for the price.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:29 PM

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/d...spx?itemnum=44

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/d...spx?itemnum=59

these are the two tvs i'm getting if you do some research i can get the 47" for 1500 and the 42" for 1200

i think they will be good deals, they don't have HD tuner built in, but i don't think that's a big deal if you aren't watchign tv (not a big deal even if you are watchign, because of the HD tuner that the cable company will give you)

however

i did hear some slight hand shaking issues with the PS3 with the 42" tv, but i'm not 100% sure that'll be a problem

but i think these are the best value if you wanna go LCD HD 1080p

i'm getting it soon and a ps3 with it too i think
Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 PM

Here's what I'm afraid of with the LCD: Motion Blur and Poor black levels for dark scenes.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Wht: The black levels really can be bad. Calibrating the sets help, but you just have to use your own judgment. Bring a DVD of a dark movie ('The Descent' just came out and is a good example) to see what you think.

Motion blur doesn't bother me at all if you sit back a reasonable amount.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:15 PM

I recently bought two Vizio LCD HDTVs, one 32" and one 37", and I think they are awesome. I had read somewhere that plasmas were better than LCDs for sports b/c of the quicker refresh rate, but I haven't noticed any motion blur or anything other than a freaking flawless picture.

They are pretty much the cheapest brand on the market and I think they look better than every other brand except Sony, which is 15% more than anyone else.

Go Vizio, trust me. I actually think they have LCD AND plasma at 42".
Old 05-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Sony is the best hands down, but also the most expensive.
Samsung is super-close to Sony, for considerably less.

Vizio is probably the best 'bargain' LCD - it even uses the expensive faroudja (sp) decoding chip found only in super high-end DVD players to do scaling.

BTW, Fatwallet has a deal on a 42" Vizio Plasma right now for around $800 shipped.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messagev...;keyword1=vizio
Old 05-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Vizio is OK if you are really looking for a budget TV. But I had a 32" Samsung LCD before I upgraded and my roomate had a 32" Vizio. The Vizio was very washed out IMO. My new 42" plasma looks much better than both because the blacks are so deep. I am just one of the opinion that you should not buy a cheapo brand if you are going to be using it alot. A Vizio, Westinghouse, Viewsonic, etc is fine if it is in your workout room, or kids playroom or something. But I feel that if I am going to have a nice TV in my room or in a living room that gets alot of use then the extra money is worth it.

Samsung LCD's and Panasonic and Samsung Plasma's are the best values in quality TV's right now. Last years Pioneer plasmas are a good deal, but their new line is going to be incredibly expensive (but they are the best picture you can buy, period). Sony stuff is way overpriced and not worth it at all.

People rave about Vizio b/c of the cost, not the picture quality. They definitely fall behind Samsung, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonnic, LG, JVC and Hitachi in picture quality. Don't go cheap and buy a 42" Vizio, pay $400-500 more and get a quality Samsung or Panasonic if you can afford it.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People rave about Vizio b/c of the cost, not the picture quality. They definitely fall behind Samsung, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonnic, LG, JVC and Hitachi in picture quality. Don't go cheap and buy a 42" Vizio, pay $400-500 more and get a quality Samsung or Panasonic if you can afford it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree, I think the picture compares favorably to all others brands except Sony, as I said.