Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: 6.50 - bubble with QQ vs big stack

I think you're getting too results orientated and think a fold is good because you lost to KT.

Yes, it is the bubble and the key to an STT is surival to the money BUT when you only have 4BBs you can't fold QQ. You should be calling an all in with QQ with your stack.

SB and BB have both got 2-3BBs, so yes you have a WHOLE BB more than them, but you can't just sit around waiting to be the first in the pot. If you're folding QQ and hoping to shove with Ax, you're eventually not going to enough fold equity anyway that it wont make a difference to being first in the pot.

I'm such a huge believer in being the first to make the all in move, and to never call in all in but this is one of the situations where you've got to get your chips in.

AND more importantly, aside from being the player to make the first move, UTG has over 9k!! Of course he's going to be raising every hand, TBH if that was my stack I'd be shoving on those blinds with KT. On the bubble of an STT the huge stack will be making raises/all ins almost every hand (if they're any good) so when you get QQ you should be thinking AWESOME ---- NEVER FOLD!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 AM

Please tell me if I make a error in this reasoning (because they always suggest folding a ton):

If I plug stack sizes into an ICM, we have 23% equity now, 0% when we bust and 31% when we double up.

Let p = chance to win the allin, then calling=folding when
31 p = 23
--> p = 0.75

So, to get equity from calling, we need to be 75% ahead which we even don't get against Kx and Ax, so we should fold.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:58 AM

First off is the miniraise the standard raise of the big stack? Has he been raising every hand? In a 6.50 you have surprising amounts of fold equity (ie you have some) where he decides he doesn't want to pay another 1200 to see the cards with his q8o. If you assume he is calling 100% of the time, he needs to be top 40% or so for this to be a fold. He should be ATC but you need a read to verify that.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM

push, you need chips if you wanna win, finishing just on the bubble is not worth folding this hand
Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 PM

In the long run a shove here is +ev...doesnt matter that you bubbled or there are short stacks. YOU HAVE QQ! GET it IN
Old 05-24-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doesnt matter that you bubbled or there are short stacks. YOU HAVE QQ! GET it IN

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right...LOL