Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Enlisting in Navy Under SEAL Challenge Contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I hope you are capable of getting in a lot better shape if you have any hope of joining an elite fighting unit. The numbers you quoted for pushups and situps are a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow. 84 straight good pushups are a joke? What is a standard number for someone in an elite fighting unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hundreds.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I hope you are capable of getting in a lot better shape if you have any hope of joining an elite fighting unit. The numbers you quoted for pushups and situps are a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow. 84 straight good pushups are a joke? What is a standard number for someone in an elite fighting unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those numbers are just fine. Seriously, all that [censored] will come with the training. They operate on a crawl, walk, run mentality. Of all my research (though it has been focused on SFAS, but the principals are the same) the MAIN thing you should worry about is how well you run/ruck/march.

Fydor is right, but about the wrong thing. Crap like:

I'd love to snatch and grab/rescue prisoners/shoot terrorist/reclaim nuclear weapons all day.

Should be WIPED from 75s head. This isn't Rainbow Six, this is training for an elite Military combat unit. He really need to reconsider why he is joining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree with pretty much everything said here. I've known a number of people in elite units and right or wrong the reason above is pretty much the reason every one of them does it.

Also, BUDS isn't about crawl, walk, running you into shape. It's about testing you. You'd damn well better be in phenomenal shape when you get there. They don't have time to waste on people that don't show up ready to hit the ground running. Actually, if you're planning on going to BUDS, your biggest challenge should be not losing conditioning during the weak-ass Navy boot camp before you get there.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:41 AM

didn't you watch the finale of 24? do you really want to be jack bauer?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those numbers are just fine. Seriously, all that [censored] will come with the training. They operate on a crawl, walk, run mentality. Of all my research (though it has been focused on SFAS, but the principals are the same) the MAIN thing you should worry about is how well you run/ruck/march.

Fydor is right, but about the wrong thing. Crap like:

I'd love to snatch and grab/rescue prisoners/shoot terrorist/reclaim nuclear weapons all day.

Should be WIPED from 75s head. This isn't Rainbow Six, this is training for an elite Military combat unit. He really need to reconsider why he is joining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree with pretty much everything said here. I've known a number of people in elite units and right or wrong the reason above is pretty much the reason every one of them does it.

Also, BUDS isn't about crawl, walk, running you into shape. It's about testing you. You'd damn well better be in phenomenal shape when you get there. They don't have time to waste on people that don't show up ready to hit the ground running.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be in good shape to increase your chances, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that were scrawny pukes when they started. Not wise, but there's a reason that 60 percent of the failures are due to voluntary drop-out. It's not that they didn't condition themselves well enough, as there are people their same fitness who stayed in.

What i mean by scrap that mentality from his mind is that should not be the only reason he joins. It comes off as if he's played a bunch of SOCOM and now wants to wear a ghillie suit and kick some ass. Sure, that's int he head of almost every Spec Ops Solder, but he needs to understand that theres so much more to it than that, and any notion he has is probably far off base. I've just seen too many kids posting fantastical stuff like that on the SOCOM boards only to get ripped apart by the members, and rightly so. It's pretty much understood that you're joining partially for heroic daydreams, but that still needs to be pulled out of your head and replaced with reality so you will have the best understanding going in. Maybe i'm wrong, and assuming too much, but from his very brief reasons for joining he certainly gave me an ill perception. If i'm way off base i apologize.

Regardless of what anybody says here (including myself) just goto those forums and read and maybe post later on for further questions. There's no better way to get information than from people who have actually gone through it. All of us who know somebody who know somebody can only give watered down anecdotal information.
Here is a pretty decent FAQ

and Here is an interesting thread that should let you know how serious BUD/S can be on your body.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think those are timed numbers. 2 minutes IIRC.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks very much Troy. Yes, those are timed numbers, but i'll try to step it up.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm most concerned about the role. I don't wanna shoot innocent people to protect an oil rig for dick cheney. I'm convinced there is more to the current war than America is being told. If it's noble, I'd be proud to fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will not be a SEAL. This type of thinking is exactly what they do not want in a SEAL. They do not want smart individuals. They want people who will follow orders precisely, without question. If you're bright and can improvise they'll love you even more. But showing signs of independent thought, especially contrary to orders or doctrine, they will kick you from the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. "They do not want smart indivuals"?!? Are you kidding me? SEAL operators have to be extremely intelligent, just like Green Berets, Force Recon, Delta, and all the rest. SOCOM operators follow orders, but they are given a MUCH greater amount of autonomy than the rank and file infantry. Independent thinkers, capable of acting quickly and decisively are exactly the type of men they are looking for. If you dont mind me asking, what experience do you have with any SEALs other than you current misconceptions?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is just wrong. "They do not want smart indivuals"?!? Are you kidding me? SEAL operators have to be extremely intelligent, just like Green Berets, Force Recon, Delta, and all the rest. SOCOM operators follow orders, but they are given a MUCH greater amount of autonomy than the rank and file infantry. Independent thinkers, capable of acting quickly and decisively are exactly the type of men they are looking for. If you dont mind me asking, what experience do you have with any SEALs other than you current misconceptions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but you're the one who is extremely misguided here. The SEALs want people of better than average intelligence, but they do not want free thinkers.

As for my experience, I have 2 close family members who graduated from the Naval Academy, I have worked closely with a retired admiral, and my best friend in High School's father is a retired SEAL. All of whom I have talked to extensively about the SEAL program because it was something my brother was looking into.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 PM

1. "Free-thinking" is not an asset in the military, in any branch. But intelligence and the ability to think on your feet is
2. Can you really join the US military as special forces? Seriously? I find that beyond ridiculous. Only the best proven soldiers should have the opportunity to go to special forces. Less time wasted on the weak-willed glory seekers.
3. You need to improve your fitness. Unless you can do what you've mentoined several times a day, you'll be in trouble.

I'm still in shock that you can join as a SEAL. Absolutely incredible.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM

I can't join as a SEAL, duhhh. I can go in under the SEAL challenge contract. From what I know, SEALs dont need trigger time to begin training (BUD/S). Its not the Army Special Forces (I've looked into that, not as interesting. many who go through q course were rangers) This is special operations and training takes 2 years in total.

Also, according to Stew Smith, my times are competitive. These are max in 2 minute periods. I don't know anyone that can do over 105 REAL pushups in 2 minutes.

As I mentioned before, seeking job fulfilment and excitement, not glory. Do you have any mil background? Ty for first comment.