Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 11:19 PM
 is offline

Default Handwired Guitar Amplifiers?

I asked a very busy employee at the Guitar Center, "If Marshall reissued the '1969 Marshall Plexi 50 Watt Head,' would it sound as good as the original?" He said it would if it's handwired, then he ran off.

What does it mean when they say an amp is handwired? What inside the amp is handwired? AND, if an amp hasn't been wired by hand, can you take out the machine-wired part, and replace it with a handwired one?

Thank You
Old 05-23-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Handwired Guitar Amplifiers?

[censored] guitar center. Go to a real guitar store, something more local, the people will know much more and be more willing to help. Guitar center's main concern is selling expensive [censored] to donkeys who dont know any better.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] guitar center. Go to a real guitar store, something more local, the people will know much more and be more willing to help. Guitar center's main concern is selling expensive [censored] to donkeys who dont know any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the question is about hand-wired amps, not whether Guitar Center salesmen are knowledgeable. Anyway last time I checked Guitar Center's prices were quite competitive. Most local small stores in my experience are much more expensive, and pretty frequently their employees/owners don't know a whole lot.

Sorry ID but I can't help you much with your question. I only know how to turn the knobs.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Well although this site is above average intelligence, I dont think too many people know the ins and outs of a 1969 Marshall Plexi 50 W Head.

The people at guitar center arent completely clueless, but they dont compare to local shops where people have 30+ yrs working with guitars and amps. Since he;s not shopping for new gear, their prices shouldn't really matter. When he asked an employee for help, he was blown off. This is less likley to happen at a local shop where people care more about music.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 PM

it means all the circuit boards have been soldered by hand, etc. I would bet huge that no one can tell the difference between a handwired amp and a nonhandwired. new marshalls suck btw.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:01 AM

http://www.aikenamps.com/

Tech Info - Introductory - Point-to-point.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well although this site is above average intelligence, I dont think too many people know the ins and outs of a 1969 Marshall Plexi 50 W Head.

The people at guitar center arent completely clueless, but they dont compare to local shops where people have 30+ yrs working with guitars and amps. Since he;s not shopping for new gear, their prices shouldn't really matter. When he asked an employee for help, he was blown off. This is less likley to happen at a local shop where people care more about music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to a bunch of local shops where the owner and the salesmen are pretty clueless, and they will try to sell you crap for a high price. However, I do live in a rural area, so the local shops are the only guys in town wherever they are and have less pressure to be competitive or helpful because local residents just visit them instead of shopping online or driving to St. Louis.

I'll agree that a really good local shop beats Guitar Center, but I also think a beginning musician is way way more likely to get ripped off at the average small-town shop than he is with one of the big guys.

The reason I mention all this is because you're giving people a pretty bad impression of Guitar Center. I'd hate for some beginner to read your post, go to their local shop and pay $1200 for a Fender they could have gotten for $800 or $900 (or whatever is standard these days) at GC or Mars Music because they had the impression that Guitar Center sells expensive [censored] to donkeys who don't know better.

I won't hijack the thread any further. I just wanted to make that clear.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
it means all the circuit boards have been soldered by hand, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping it was a just a coil or somthing that is easily replacable. Too bad.

[ QUOTE ]
new marshalls suck btw

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the reissued ones, where they are said to duplicate the original specs?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 AM

ask this guy
Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it means all the circuit boards have been soldered by hand, etc. I would bet huge that no one can tell the difference between a handwired amp and a nonhandwired. new marshalls suck btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I would think it means no circuit boards... Everything wired point-to-point. No?