Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Busted on 1st hand

Home game sit n go. $100 buyin. start with 3500 chips and blinds 10-20.

first hand: I limp w/ KsJs. Player behind me raises to 80. Two others call, I call.

flop: K J 9 rainbow. I bet 320. Call. Raise to 900. Fold.

So it's on me. The guy who raised is usually very aggressive; I've seen him steal alot, especially on the first decent pot. I'm concerned about 9-9. But there are so many drawing hands he could make the same bet with: K-10, K-Q, etc. In fact, any piece of the flop and a draw and he might raise there. Also the same twopair I have or a weaker two pair.

Bottom line: I'm a little concerned he's got trips or the straight already, but my hunch is I'm ahead right now. so I try to turn his aggression against him and re-raise all in.

he calls right away and shows Q-10. Bad move on my part? Should I have played it differently?

note: I wasn't worried about the player in between us having a better hand. I figured he had just one pair (he did, in fact, have a King.)

Thoughts?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Busted on 1st hand

You don't specify your position, but I would raise or fold preflop. And if the guy is so aggressive, why not check raise on the flop? That way, maybe you can fold when he reraises all-in.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM

Open limping sucks. KJ in EP sucks. After that it looks like you were destined to go down as it's hard to get away from top two. Maybe the only thing that could have saved you was to call the flop raise, then throw out a donk probe on the turn, if buddy pushes there you gotta give him credit for a bigger hand.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Your only mistake was playing KJ in the first place, especially in EP. I think all your other plays were justified given your reads. His raise to 900 just screamed I HAVE MADE A STRAIGHT though. I think this early I fold top 2 but who knows. Some hands it seems you can be destined to go broke.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not check raise on the flop? That way, maybe you can fold when he reraises all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 AM

if you think hes bluffing alot shoving is the worst thing you can do
Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 PM

You have now experienced how KJ can get you into trouble. You have also learned about limping early and cold-calling a raise out of position with a marginal hand.

Even against a lousy hand like Q10, look how many other flops would get you into trouble:

Q J 10
J 9 8
K Q 10
K Q Q
J 10 10
K 10 10
etc.

And that's just against Q10. How about against AK, AJ, KQ, JJ, KK, QQ, etc.?

You raise 4xBB in early position with KsJs and Q10 would likely fold eliminating a lot of your problems. You still may have other problems like AJ calling you but a least you have reduced the amount of trouble you can get into.

A lot of players would focus on how things went wrong on the flop here when the real reason they even got into this position were because of the mistakes preflop.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You raise 4xBB in early position with KsJs and Q10 would likely fold eliminating a lot of your problems. You still may have other problems like AJ calling you but a least you have reduced the amount of trouble you can get into.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.... what?!?
Ks Js 0.608
Qh Th 0.392

Ks Js 0.643
Ts Qh 0.357

You want a 3:2 or 2:1 dog to FOLD just to avoid trouble?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop: K J 9 rainbow. I bet 320. Call. Raise to 900. Fold.

So it's on me.

and re-raise all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't a raise to 2200 or so accomplish the same thing- finding out what he has? Of course, he's getting great pot odds, so all-in is probably the only raise....

Check raise attempt seemed like an autoplay here, with a raiser behind. Why the pot-size lead out?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 AM

I led out b/c I figured at least one of my opponents was on a draw and I didn't want them to see the turn for free (even though it's unlikely both would check behind).

Your point is a good one: if I check raise to 900 and he goes all in over the top, then I can get away from my two pair.

Thanks to all for responding!