Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: The NBA is about as interesting as a Ron Popeil infomercial

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't understand how watching a game where it seems everyone is walking up the court, no defense, and needing to take 4 steps in order for traveling to be called can be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant fastbreak every single play man and lol at everyone walking up the court, when is the last time you even watched a game? Sometimes a guy might lag behind, but to say everyone is walking up the court is a gross overstatement. There is defense; some teams like the Suns for example dont play D (not knocking them I like the Suns), its just their style. Look at the 4 teams remaining in the playoffs, they all play solid/great D. The travelling stuff, yeah I cant really defend that, but do you really want to see 5 trivial travelling calls made every game? I dont.

All I can really say is that you should watch the nba playoffs and then if you still dont like it, you never will. I have watched like 20+ playoff games this year and they have been great, EVERYONE is playing hard too.

I used to really love baseball as a kid, it was also the sport that I was best at. But I just cant stand to watch it on tv now, its just too slow. Even going to a few Astros games the past year, Ive been ready to go in the 5th inning nearly every time. Also, the whole Yanks/Sox thing is terrible, I dont wanna watch those teams every single night, they are the devil. Also, Bud Selig makes me want to off myself. Im an avid sports fan, but I honestly havent watch any baseball WS game in like 5 years. I would much rather watch a World Cup game than a WS one.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's because you don't like basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I went to the final four and enjoyed every moment of it.

[ QUOTE ]
All I can really say is that you should watch the nba playoffs and then if you still dont like it, you never will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:53 PM

You aren't alone. The TV ratings for NBA games are terrible.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:54 PM

The Suns' D is fine.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't alone. The TV ratings for NBA games are terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same could be said for other major sports, but I believe yeah, NBA has sagged the worst. This is offset by the increase in int'l viewers but for the most part, Stern has to be worried.

Which is just another reason why his suspension decision in Spurs-Suns series is idiotic. The perception (to the casual fan, who might have some tune-in value) is that Stern was being overly draconian and cost the Suns the series, which serves to reinforce the perception that the NBA is somewhat "rigged". And, effectively, Stern handed the series to the Spurs taking one of the more exciting, enjoyable teams to watch (again to the casual fan) out of the playoffs with a great mainstream story in Nash (doesn't hurt that he's white).

WTG.

-Al
Old 05-23-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Popeil is awesome, wtf

[/ QUOTE ]
EXACTLY. OP, WTF is wrong with you? Popeil wiki. Is anyone else old enough to remember the Food Dehydrator ads that ran ad nauseum about fifteen years ago? Mesmerizing. Plus the guy is responsible for introducing the Veg-O-Matic and Mr. Microphone into our culture! OP should be tempbanned.

As for the subject, you're obviously a product of your upbringing. Everybody is. In Utah, basketball is still more popular than any other sport because Stockton & Malone were the only game in town - and a good one at that - for nearly twenty years. In Indiana, basketball is huge. Conversely it's not big at all in many other places, such as Pittsburgh. Here in Phoenix, we're NBA fans but generally don't follow the college game as much, but the opposite is true in Tucson, where UofA basketball is the pride of the (awful) city.

I'm not gonna try to talk you into liking it, that would be pointless. But there are a lot of us that like it, so don't state opinion as fact.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 PM

Definitely location dependent. Living in San Antonio, where only 1 major franchise exists, its almost impossible to not get into the NBA. UTSA is almost non existent next to the spurs, and there aren't any other collegiate sports the city offers competitively.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually feel the same about baseball. I grew up a fan and have honestly given it as much of a shot as I can. Furhtermore, I understand the nuances of the game too....its just so boring to me and I have no desire to watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I "follow" baseball fairly closely, but I simply can't watch it on TV....I'd rather watch paint dry.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how anyone can watch the first 45 minutes of a game. No matter what it seems the game is always within 5-6 points one way or another with 3 minutes left.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be like saying you shouldn't watch baseball until the 9th inning because, when you watched the 2001 World Series, seemingly every game was decided in the 9th inning.

Sometimes, the run that makes the game a blowout happens a lot earlier than the 4th quarter. E.g., there was a GSW/DAL playoff game where GSW absolutely killed in the 3rd. There was a Suns/CLE game where the Suns dominated the 2nd quarter. Tune into either game in the final 4 minutes, you'll see the scrubs playing with a 25 point lead.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:06 AM

Ron Popeil >> NBA

That dehydrator makes a damned fine beef (or turkey or fish or pork?) jerkey.