Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: EDF business project : manpurse

Diablo - let's assume there's some nascent demand there as Boris is suggesting (or you can create demand for the product). And it's true, for myself, that if there were an elegant solution that would allow me to carry around 2 mobile devices, pack of gum, wallet, biz cards, keys, I'd be all over that.

But I think Joker hit the nail on the head wrt "attaching" things to your person:

[ QUOTE ]
think it would have to be some sort of a carrying bag, because anything affixed to your person (cargo pockets, fanny packs, etc.) is going to look immediately toolish, touristy, and completely like the ol' retard-on-a-field-trip look.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as some carried object... speaking for myself, it would take a very compelling reason to get me to carry something around all night and have to deal with that, and I think this is true for most guys.

-Al
Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Al,

I think we're cutting to the core here.

a) Guys don't want to deal w/ carrying something around. This seems pretty universal.

b) Guys don't want to strap something to their body because it looks toolish.

So, given option a) or b) or

c) Leave stuff at home, in car, w/ gf, or just stuff it in your pockets.

Most guys choose c).

IF I CAN SOMEHOW CHANGE THAT, I WILL BE RICH!

"if there were an elegant solution that would allow me to carry around 2 mobile devices, pack of gum, wallet, biz cards, keys, I'd be all over that."

That's my charter, Al!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Well, since no one took my last post seriously, here's my idea:

Lets make a high quality leather jacket with a pouch sewn on the back.

We could call it, the El Diablo-Camino Jacket...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM

Diablito,

I agree with the comment above made by Iggy. Getting celebrities and rich people to use them would be absolutely crucial no matter the design.

I think that's the key especially for Starbucks and to some extent bottled water. Cappuccinos and other fancy coffee drinks used to be for rich people or Europeans. I remember an advertisement for some Maxwell House instant cappuccino several years ago where an apparently middle-class couple tried to impress their better off guests by making this instant cappuccino stuff, even making noises that sounded like an espresso machine. Making rich items available was the key to Starbucks I think.

In terms of design I think you need something that somehow sets your bag apart from others but is still in between a messenger bag and a briefcase. Then just get some red carpet guys or whatever to use it and you could be golden. I have no idea how this could be done of course. It would be very important that your design be distinct as others will also be cashing in so you need to be as different from them as possible so that people don't just want a man purse but an El Diablo deluxe man purse.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:19 PM

I think this innovation would only be possible through some new genius masculinising design w/ one hell of a lot of marketing, and since you already have some of the worlds best already working hard at it, I don't see how this is possible unless you know or are a very talented designer.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:19 PM

girls use purses because women's clothing don't have pockets as stuffed pockets would look ridiculous on them

men would want use purses because... o yeah they wouldn't. They have pockets to do the job.

Pockets do exactly what you are looking for. As for men who wear clothing that makes stuffed pockets look dumb, maybe you have niche market there.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Meh, I don't know Diablo.

I'm not wearing any kind of bag or purse type object on the front of my body. I don't have any problem, however, wearing something on my back. I'm never self-conscious about wearing a backpack, for example.

Maybe something like a sackpack, except more upscale?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe something like a sackpack, except more upscale?

[/ QUOTE ]

Word, this is something that is worth focusing on. I know a few people that regularly wear these to parties and stuff and it's no big deal... When you're looking at someone from the front you can barely even tell that they're wearing it, the straps are so thin.

I think highly stylized versions of this might be a good idea. Plus, lots of black people already wear them, so you know it's cool. Or at least cooler than what white people are doing.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 PM

Jake,

Coincidentally, I happened to buy one of these this weekend:

Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JB,

Yeah, not sure about the specific suggestion there, but that's the sort of thing I'm thinking about.

Maybe something that size which could be handheld OR strapped to someplace on your body like an ipod-on-your-arm thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I entered this thread thinking it was hopeless; men won't ever carry any kind of bag. And I still stick with that sentiment. However, the strapped-to-your-arm-like-an ipod idea is the most feasible imo, and has potential.

Why? Because guys that have a cell phone strapped their waist look like dorks. Guys with an ipod strapped to their arm look cool. (again, imo).

To make it work, it would obviously have to be very small, including a small, thin strap. I don't see how you could pull off the look with a suit at all. Any other type of clothes, including nice, dressy shirts, would work with this, (I envision a small, leather square attached to the upper arm), however this would look goofy over a suit coat.