Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: 16$ PS - 99, slightly above 10bb what do i do?

[ QUOTE ]
1. "Pushing will only get better hands to call you" is just not true.

2. The most important thing we have in SNGs is fold equity. If you shove, you've got a ton of FE and can force out hands that you're flipping with. If you raise 3bb and then they shove over you, you've just given the FE to someone else. Unless you have a monster (which 99 is not) you always want the FE on your side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man. I understand your point and makes sense to me now. What range of hands would you do a 3x raise here? AKo+, QQ+?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. "Pushing will only get better hands to call you" is just not true.

2. The most important thing we have in SNGs is fold equity. If you shove, you've got a ton of FE and can force out hands that you're flipping with. If you raise 3bb and then they shove over you, you've just given the FE to someone else. Unless you have a monster (which 99 is not) you always want the FE on your side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man. I understand your point and makes sense to me now. What range of hands would you do a 3x raise here? AKo+, QQ+?

Thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats about right, I add JJ too.

The thing to think about is what hands you could fold out that you don't want to see.
JJ doesn't want to see AA/KK/QQ/AK/AQ/KQ.
Most likely, the only one of those hands that you'll fold out with a shove is KQ, so letting them shove over you with a wider range is still going to be +ev with JJ because of lower pairs and QJ/JT type hands that your in good shape against.

At TT, it reaches a point where the there are a bunch of hands that flip with you that you don't want to play against and can fold out with a shove. The KJ/QJ/ AJ combos start to become a real problem. By the time you get to 99 its way out of hand.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for deception purposes I even push QQ-AA. IMO if you push your non-monster good hands and raise 3x with real monsters you'll be easy to read. That being said, I'd especially push the AK since again you want everyone holding small pairs to fold to avoid a flip.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for deception purposes I even push QQ-AA. IMO if you push your non-monster good hands and raise 3x with real monsters you'll be easy to read. That being said, I'd especially push the AK since again you want everyone holding small pairs to fold to avoid a flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with shoving AK is that people will shove back at you with weak aces if you just open 3bb.

There is a big stigma around flipping in sngs, but all flips are not created equal. You're playing against ranges, and sometimes the best play will put you up against a range that includes a lot of flip hands. As long as there is a healthy dose of hands that you dominate in the range, its ok.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:29 PM

i just shove anything id be raising

i was playing last night, i shoved A8o BvB for like 12-13BB, and he called with J2s (after tanking). i held and finished 3rd when the same player sucked out on me multiple times 3 handed.

so yea i always shove
Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just shove anything id be raising

i was playing last night, i shoved A8o BvB for like 12-13BB, and he called with J2s (after tanking). i held and finished 3rd when the same player sucked out on me multiple times 3 handed.

so yea i always shove

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand you just mentioned bears no relation to what I've been talking about at all.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM

if you standard raise JJ or AK you risk a flatcall.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you standard raise JJ or AK you risk a flatcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you're playing a big hand in position and will still have almost 10bbs if you have to fold postflop. Whats the problem with that?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 PM

that youre wasting the opportunity of doubling up by allowing them to do so

basically im shoving everything up to JJ if i have 15bb or less. QQ if 12-13bb sure it can make em all fold, but the times they call with KQ or AJ makes it worth it
Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 PM

I don't like it. I've been much better raising than shoving with excellent hands like QQ+, AKo+. As in my previous post, I was even doing that (raising) with 99 and TT (with more than 10BBs).
I'll change that but with excellent hands I rather raising than shoving.