Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: What to do on the turn?

Nick,

There 's nothing to suggest he has QQ. 33 is the only reasonable hand that beats you (other than the improbable Q7 and Q3).

I'd check raise the turn and shove the river. That A doesn't make villain a better hand. If he is trapping with 33 then you are losing a lot of your stack here regardless of how you play.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another hand from the other night.

After a straddle I raise from late MP to 18 with 79os and only the SB and BB calling the straddle. The button calls and everyone else folds. So it's heads up since I'm making this so confusing.

I have about $500 and he has me covered.

The flop was 7-3-Q. I bet 25 into a $48 pot, hoping to end it right there. He thinks for about 3 seconds and calls. The turn is another 7. I bet $65 and he calls. No FD's out there. The river is and ace.

Now this guy is kind of tricky and pretty good. I was pretty sure I was ahead but I wasn't sure enough to risk my whole stack. I didn't want to check to him because if he had a strong hand I didn't want him betting so much that I felt I had to call but not enough where I was supposed to fold.

After I bet the flop I thought he had a Q like maybe KQ or even AQ. So I was ready to give up. I loved the turn obviously and wanted to suck him in for all I could. But something about the way he called the turn scared me pretty bad.

How bad did I play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much did you bet on the river?? Why wouldn't he raise AQ on the button in a HU pot? Wouldn't he raise you on the flop with a Q + big kicker?

With his betting pattern, he has not indicated he has a big hand either. He seems to be in call down mode. I suspect he's got a mid PP & is wondering if you have a Q. Once again your bets aren't pot sized, so he may be on to that fact as weakness.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok button straddles for $4. SB raises to 15 BB calls 15.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized that a local room I play at has been doing this wrong. Or is it just different? They allow this straddle, but then betting proceeds from UTG, around back to the blind (the button is skipped), and then finally the button (after the BB). It looks like the blinds really get screwed the way it's supposed to be, since now they have to act first on every street.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was checked to me so I sure wasn't folding. Not trying to be a smart arse or anything. If I push then they're getting some good odds. If I check and another spade comes it's a very easy laydown to any size bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I agree with this reasoning. If someone is drawing with one spade, you've got 80% equity or something. As far as I understand the whole math of it, when you you have >50% equity, you should always bet, even if your opponent is priced in to call. Having to call a bet is better than folding for your opponent, but both options are worse than getting a free card. You shouldn't provide that option to him.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized that a local room I play at has been doing this wrong. Or is it just different? They allow this straddle, but then betting proceeds from UTG, around back to the blind (the button is skipped), and then finally the button (after the BB). It looks like the blinds really get screwed the way it's supposed to be, since now they have to act first on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

A straddle is plyed from UTG. This is a Mississippi straddle that can be played from anywhere but the blinds.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was checked to me so I sure wasn't folding. Not trying to be a smart arse or anything. If I push then they're getting some good odds. If I check and another spade comes it's a very easy laydown to any size bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I agree with this reasoning. If someone is drawing with one spade, you've got 80% equity or something. As far as I understand the whole math of it, when you you have >50% equity, you should always bet, even if your opponent is priced in to call. Having to call a bet is better than folding for your opponent, but both options are worse than getting a free card. You shouldn't provide that option to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really sure if you and I are disagreeing or not. What I was saying that if I would have checked (which I didn't) and a 4th spade would have come on the river against two players it would have been an easy fold to any kind of bet.

If I wanted to be results oriented then I could have said I should have checked the turn because the river brought the 4th spade. But I'm not going to be that way.

I'd say my biggest mistake was not having more money on the table. Then I could have bet more on the turn and then they might have not been willing to call. Then again the SB was gettng a lil more than 4-1 preflop. Ok so up to 70-75 preflop?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A straddle is plyed from UTG. This is a Mississippi straddle that can be played from anywhere but the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know... by "this straddle" I meant this "Mississipi straddle".
Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really sure if you and I are disagreeing or not. What I was saying that if I would have checked (which I didn't) and a 4th spade would have come on the river against two players it would have been an easy fold to any kind of bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Infinite odds > good odds. You have to bet even if your opponent is still right to call.

And, even if a spade does come, you can't fold to "any bet", because he might not have been on a flush draw.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume this was at the Goldstrike?? or Horseshoe?? Folks in our area luv them some sooooted cards!!! Any 2 will do.

In a 3 way pot & knowing how some of those idiots play....I push the flop everytime & hope the board pairs because one if not both is gonna call!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean "folks anywhere"...
Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 AM

In the second hand villan had QQ.