Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Aggravating Movies

[ QUOTE ]
This topic just keeps bringing movies to my mind....

Freedomland

So is Julianne Moore mentally handicapped? Did I miss something?

Reign Over Me

So, do people really act constantly drunk when they are depressed 6 years after their family's death? Unfortunately, for whatever reason, i couldn't get over how I felt this was a forced reaction that wasn't realistic. I've never had anyone close to me die like that so I have no reference point. But it aggravated me as I watched it.

[/ QUOTE ]

god damn you
Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 PM

started off as a good movie with a possible government conspiracy, turned out aliens were abducting children?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Superman Returns

So does he just get to pick and choose WHEN the Kryptonite is deathly to him? I'm not a Superman fan or whatever really, and in general thought the movie was pretty good, but, well, ya... he was holding like a mountain of it and lived

[/ QUOTE ]

(SPOILERS)

I've seen this complaint about SR a lot. I thought it was pretty clear that he went well under the crystal to pick it up and that there were several meters of regular dirt between himself and the crystal, protecting him from it. This dirt is what you see falling off in big chunks as he lifts the mountain.

By the time the dirt fell away and the crystal grew enough that he was right next to it, he was in the upper atmosphere and beyond it, and so was exposed to the direct, unfiltered light of the sun. The sun kept him going long enough to push the crystals away before he finally succumbed to the effects of it.

Then, since he wasn't completely dead, he was able to heal once he wasn't exposed to it any longer and the shard was removed.

Still, if I were Superman, I would make finding every piece of Kryptonite on Earth my first priority. Why hasn't he done that?

What I thought was irritating about that movie was that they never explained why the kid did not use his powers again. Did he not know how? Was he afraid to? Was he unable to?

That, and the long, boring scenes of Lois being Lois.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This topic just keeps bringing movies to my mind....

Freedomland

So is Julianne Moore mentally handicapped? Did I miss something?

Reign Over Me

So, do people really act constantly drunk when they are depressed 6 years after their family's death? Unfortunately, for whatever reason, i couldn't get over how I felt this was a forced reaction that wasn't realistic. I've never had anyone close to me die like that so I have no reference point. But it aggravated me as I watched it.

[/ QUOTE ]

god damn you

[/ QUOTE ]

??

I'm not minimizing the pain that one feels 6 years after losing loved ones.

I'm just asking if anyone has ever known anyone to react as Sandler did in that movie.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Smokin Aces...
Old 05-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Magnolia...I watched this with some friends, who all gave up on the movie after an hour. I thought the movie would get better and by the second hour I still had some hope. When the frogs came raining down, I wanted to shoot myself for being so optimistic.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Magnolia...I watched this with some friends, who all gave up on the movie after an hour. I thought the movie would get better and by the second hour I still had some hope. When the frogs came raining down, I wanted to shoot myself for being so optimistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt this way about "All the Pretty Horses"
Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 PM

Tarantino's contribution to Grindhouse
Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 PM

The Decalogue. Specifically the first movie of it.

Spoilerific overview follows:

The Decalogue is a series of 10 movies, each one of which is supposed to illustrate one of the ten commandments. The first one deals with the first commandment, thou shalt have no gods before me.

The movie centered around a father and his kid. The father wasn't very religious and was a scientist. His kid wanted to skate on the frozen pond by their apartment. The father did a bunch of calculations and figured out the maximum amount of weight the ice could hold. He determined his son could skate on it, so he let him. The kid goes on the ice, falls in and dies. The father is severely grieving and walks around the pond. He sees what caused everything to happen--someone built a fire by the pond, weakening the ice and making it thin enough that his son died.

My reaction is very colored by the fact that, not only am I not religious, I was an engineer, as was my father. So the moral of the story--don't trust in science, trust in god, was not just foreign to me, it was offensive.

But even moreso was what they use to show over-reliance on science and not enough on God. It was just beyond stupid:

1) What was the father supposed to do? Pray to God and ask him if his son can go on the ice?

2) It minimilizes an ENTIRE branch of engineering--civil engineering. Who do you think designs buildings, bridges, and elevators? God? Of course not. Buildings, bridges, elevators, etc. are designed to support a certain amount of weight, with a bunch of leeway given for unforeseen circumstances. The engineers don't make a foundation a certain depth because God told them to. They do it because their calculations told them to.

What the father did was a simple miscalculation, he didn't account for any possible weakening of the ice based on a heat source. That was a miscalculation, not a fundamental flaw in his approach. It couldn't have been cured by praying.

One can be a civil engineer and still be religious. My father was. But the movie basically makes all scientists and engineers look bad.

The first movie offended me so much, I never even bothered to watch the other 9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decalogue
Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM

How has 'The Matrix: Revolutions' not been mentioned yet?

The orig. Matrix was mind-blowing. The second was action-packed, provided that the third went somewhere.

And the third? Totally, totally lame. I was so mad.