Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Default bad river bet?

Is the flop 3bet ok? i'm never sure when to 3bet flop, to avoid giving him strength and when to just call to trap???
(if he even decides to show strength again)

And about the river, after him calling the turn after flop 3bet and the queen on 5th street, will my bet just get me in trouble most times against hands that have me beat?

BEtter to C/call?

Thx for your opinions

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Results:
Final pot: 9.75BB
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: bad river bet?

The flop 3-bet is fine.

Against aggressive players who will make this play with a wide range of PP's Aces and draws, I bet/3-bet this because they will call down from there UI. If I just call and CR the Turn they will recognize the strength and fold often. They are often a lot easier to read after a flop bet/3-bet line.

Against a bit of a passive player who has shown to raise a paired flop with a decent mix, PP's and ace high hands, I will often call and CR the Turn.

River is an easy bet/fold without any specific reads.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 PM

It all looks fine to me. I'd certainly 3 bet the flop, and the rest looks good as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 PM

Assuming an unk I play this no different.

On a drawy board oop I like to keep the bets going in since you risk major whiff trying to get fancy later; you're almost certainly ahead on flop but also pp has almost nowhere to go (if you need to improve anywhere) so oop I like to just play them straight up for the most part. I think besides value vs drawing hands showing strength now gives you some idea where you are if things heat up.

Against unk I would never check rvr because no obvious draws to bluff came in and you risk an inferior hand checking thru when he might've paid off.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM

standard

more worse hands call a river bet than bet themselves. Missed spades will sometimes bluff, but after u bet 3bet the flop u probably dont ck fold too often on the river.

His most likely worse hands are 5x or worse PPs dont let those ck behind (altho 99 or TT probably value bet themselves from time to time). Id call a river bet, not too many hands he should have raised the flop with (that dont raise the turn) would have improved on that river. Q5 doesnt make much sense to cold call otb and QJ of spades wont always raise the river after uve shown so much strength, whereas 1/10th of his range mite bluff raise this card (fds, if the turn wasnt a 7 straight draws also) and we are readless.