Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Online Poker Banning

What kind of regulations, tough or weak, is not the only thing to be considered. The regulations are not being written in a vacuum. They will have to work in the real world. If tough - the banks may not have the means to implement them, inexpensively. And if weak - they may not be able to stop all the work arounds

As to whether or not they will be ready by July 10: it seems to me everyday they are delayed, it will be said, with ever increasing volume, that the feds can‘t come up with regs that are both effective and practical. The result might be that people and sites will become emboldened and internet poker will experience a surge. It will be fun to watch Kyl pitch a hissy then.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:17 PM

There will be no time that I am unable to go online to play poker, cause if there were, I'd move. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 AM

Wait, is there a federal law banning poker? As far as I know, the UIEGA or whatever makes transactions between fin instituions and "gambling" sites illegal. Yet what law makes poker illegal? In fact, in CA, the trend is towards broader legalizations of poker (i.e. higher betting limits, NL etc). So if I can play in my local card room, whats the difference if I play online? Isn't it the same as online banking vs B&M?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 AM

I don't know about a surge, maybe constant/slight increase in player volume. Still, I am optimistic about Stars and Full Tilt. After all, they continue to try and send as many players to the WSOP as possible this year. This is not consistent with a company who is about to pull out of the market. Look at how quick party and the others were to pull out.
Additionally, are the Ivys and the likes really about to continue to support a site that is approaching trouble? IMO, they have consulted enough lawyers, etc to feel comfortable continuing to play the nosebeed stakes so close to the "deadline."
Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 AM

Oh one other think: A couple of months I was railing Mike Matesow on FTP.He said it ain't going nowhere lol!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, is there a federal law banning poker? As far as I know, the UIEGA or whatever makes transactions between fin instituions and "gambling" sites illegal. Yet what law makes poker illegal? In fact, in CA, the trend is towards broader legalizations of poker (i.e. higher betting limits, NL etc). So if I can play in my local card room, whats the difference if I play online? Isn't it the same as online banking vs B&M?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some mis-communication I think. The UIGEA prohibits american financial institutions from making transactions with online gaming sites. Online poker itself is not illegal. The UIGEA did not make playing online illegal.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just some mis-communication I think. The UIGEA prohibits american financial institutions from making transactions with online gaming sites. Online poker itself is not illegal. The UIGEA did not make playing online illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'll still be able to enjoy a play money game?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'll still be able to enjoy a play money game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you get to the point where you have to reload =d Games are going to be tough if it happens though.