Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Is this offensive, or are they just over compensation-reactions?

I understand your points.

However, you should appreciate that as you use your past experience in evaluating other people, other people do that to you.

People will apply a racial Turing Test on your behavior. If what you say is not different than what racist people would say, they are going to judge you as racist.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Complaining that you cannot properly communicate with someone is not a big deal. Blame it on that person (who probably feels equally frustrated) and you're then trying to unnecessarily pin blame. Bringing race/nationality into your complaint (as in, "I couldn't understand that idiot Indian guy") is clearly racist. Noting that the communication is due to some kind of racial/ethnic barrier is absolutely not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a language barrier, not an ethnic/racial barrier. However, calling someone an idiot because you can't understand them is definitely a clear species of dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

The language barrier is a result of other barriers, though, wouldn't you say? I guess it's simplistic and sometimes incorrect to call a language barrier a racial or ethnic barrier, but it's certainly correlated.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and in my time and experience in the South I've noticed that a large portion of Black people don't speak English the way I like it to be spoken...

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is simply why have you noticed this about blacks when a moment's reflection would tell you that there are poor English speakers (no matter your definition) of every race, creed, class, etc. If you already recognize that many non-blacks fail to measure up to your standards then why does skin color come up at all?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 PM

also, "The way I like English to be spoken." WTF, did you invent it? They probably don't like the way you talk either.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...and in my time and experience in the South I've noticed that a large portion of Black people don't speak English the way I like it to be spoken...

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is simply why have you noticed this about blacks when a moment's reflection would tell you that there are poor English speakers (no matter your definition) of every race, creed, class, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the type of narrow minded point of view I'm talking about. You infer that i'm being biased towards black people? Why? Because I used this as an example?

The point is it's increasingly difficult to point out a cultural difference that you consider to be a fault of a person from a different race or group of people without someone drawing a conclusion that you're being derogatory to them because of their ethnicity/association.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, "The way I like English to be spoken." WTF, did you invent it? They probably don't like the way you talk either.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really annoying. Look at it in it's complete context, because you forgot this part:

[ QUOTE ]
suppose one of my pet peeves (which isn't really)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an example nt.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:02 PM

tx,

ok, i am responding by saying the person in the example is kind of a douche then.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's petty funny you think that Indians have poor English, they actually usually have very good English just with an Indian accent, though if they outsourced MS support service to Scotland and you couldn't understand their accent you'd probably assume they had poor English.

I disagree with most of what you have to say and I wouldn't bother to reply to the rest of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Case and point.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tx,

ok, i am responding by saying the person in the example is kind of a douche then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think something about having double standards would be more appropriate than 'douche', but I thought I needed to clarify the above.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose one of my pet peeves (which isn't really) is when people dont use the english language correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

define correct