Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 55 flops a set, and I\'m not sure it\'s good

[ QUOTE ]
...if I never fold a set on the flop I am not hurting myself long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.
However, playing rule-of-thumb poker will hurt your development as a player. Our job when facing an all in is to determine the pot-odds, assign a range to our opponent, and see if our hand has enough equity against that range.

Sometimes that will mean folding a set on the flop. Not often, in fact it will be pretty rare, and if you never fold it wont affect your winrate much at all. But if you never even CONSIDER folding, you are suffering from a mindset that WILL hurt your winrate.

(please note that I am not arguing for or against a fold in this particular hand here)
Old 05-20-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's a nit.

He will do this with AA/KK/66/88 67s 97s

you are ~2:1 favourite over that range. I beat his chips into the pot.

You might even add QQ to that range - then it looks even better for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon matrix, villain virtually never has AA/KK here.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.
However, playing rule-of-thumb poker will hurt your development as a player. Our job when facing an all in is to determine the pot-odds, assign a range to our opponent, and see if our hand has enough equity against that range.

Sometimes that will mean folding a set on the flop. Not often, in fact it will be pretty rare, and if you never fold it wont affect your winrate much at all. But if you never even CONSIDER folding, you are suffering from a mindset that WILL hurt your winrate.

(please note that I am not arguing for or against a fold in this particular hand here)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you.. I felted another set a short time later in my session where I was about 90% sure I was behind, I didn't think it out clearly enough and just said screw it I HAVE A SET like I'm sure most people do. I don't look for reasons to fold when I have sets, I look for ways to get $ in the pot. Sometimes even very strong hands are behind though.

I went through his range of possible hands, and every one of them crushed me. A guy that goes to showdown 6% of the time wants to get his chips in the pot on the flop 3 way.. he's either got top set, or the straight.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, I guess I was arguing for not sweating the decision. The more tables I do, the quicker this would have been a call.

Edit: The 6% WTSD is not over enough hands for me to put much weight in it, but over more hands I think I could use that to fold a set there.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:09 PM

this is superhuman spew if you call this.do you realize how much stregnth button has shown? if both come along for the ride we either have about 40% equity or 4% equity, and we have 3.50 invested in whats essentially a limped pot. if you can't fold this you're not a winning player. this all changes obviously if it wasnt minraised preflop.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:11 PM

I think this is a fold tbh. Button has shown insane strength here
Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 PM

I say bravo for the read...it was spot on. BTN showed extreme strength and you read him correctly. If you truly think he is a nit, then two sets beat you and the straight. A nit doesn't put his stack in with this kind of board with two others in the pot. Poker is about people, not the cards. You played it perfectly in my opinion. You didn't have much invested and you folded to a serious show of strength. It should be rare (some people never) that you fold a set, but this is one of the rare cases. Good job.