Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 11:53 PM

Default Easy Call Down or Tough Fold (or Press an Advantage)?

UTG was decent post-flop, but too aggro pre-flop, especially if the table dropped to 5- or 4-handed (as it was here). Feel free to comment on pre-flop, but I'm pretty comfortable with my 3-bet in this situation.

Villain in this hand is crabway. I have limited stats on him at 22/16/1.8/45 over ~300 hands. He seems (at least lately) to regularly play the 30/60 6-max tables and 50/100 6-max tables (I don't have any insight as to whether he plays any 100/200). I don't have a great read on his play, but if I were forced to give a better read (and I generally force myself to give at least some weight to thin reads) I'd say he's a bit too passive and a bit too tight. My image should be reasonably solid -- I'm playing reasonably well, I'm up a fair bit, I'm showing down winners, and I haven't (to my memory) been caught in some ridiculous three-barrel bluff or supremely thin calldowns.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Is there a reasonable argument for folding anywhere? Is there a reasonable argument (put aside any metagame arguments) for showing more aggression on the turn or river? And, so "aggression" isn't misconstrued, is there any merit to leading the river? I was a bit torn in the hand and still a bit torn in reivewing the hand.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Easy Call Down or Tough Fold (or Press an Advantage)?

I think you can fold the turn. He cold called 2 from the BB so its not like he has K4 or 45 or something. His most likely hand is an ace. Yea you might have 2 pair outs or hidden split outs, but you are only getting 9:1. It seems possible to me that he has a hand like AK or 55 as well, although most people would probably cap AK pre and a lot would fold 55.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:41 AM

I to would probably muck the turn but your river call is fine. I personally probalby woudln't 3 bet it PF but then you said you had your reasons and read so thats moreso for you to decide.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:17 PM

Yeah - I think if a fold is to be found it is on the turn. I think it's close, but having played with this guy some more, I think folding the turn is the better play. In this instance he showed AKo and MHING.