Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Outdoors vacations

I read someones hiking the Appalachian trail post. That sounds Awesome. Unfortunately I don't have 6 months to do anything like this. I am looking to take a vacation preferably rafting or hiking for 7-10 days. I'm sure plenty of people have some good suggestions.

I have some friends who have done a rafting trip in Alaska, where they basically hire a bush pilot to take them way out in the middle of nowhere and spend 5-6 days rafting back to civilization. That sounds really fun but most of my friends will not be able to pony up the $2500+ (mostly airfare, bush flight, hotel before and after, equipment rental) it would cost for the trip.

I think i would prefer a rafting trip as opposed to a hiking trip, mainly so i don't have to carry heavy [censored] a long way. I wouldn't mind doing something that involves whitewater as long as it was class 3 and below. Anything over that i would not want to go without a guide.

Other things to keep in mind there will probaly be 3-6 people going. we would like to keep in the continental US so we can road trip instead of fly. Also we would like to limit expenses to

1 hotel while traveling and gas
2 gear purchase and/or rental
3 supplies

We will could take 2 vehicles so we can leave one at the destination and one to take us to the start of the trip.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Outdoors vacations

Are you and your friends all located in the same area? If so, what area is that? Obviously keeping it closer to home will be cheaper than driving 2000 miles.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you and your friends all located in the same area? If so, what area is that? Obviously keeping it closer to home will be cheaper than driving 2000 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

We live on the gulf coast, but would prefer to get away from our flat, hot, pine filled forests. I guess the smokies(edit) would be the closest destination for that but we are not opposed to road Tripping somewhere as far as like Montana.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Well you can never go wrong with Montana for an outdoors vacation... I would recommend Bozeman (60 miles from Yellowstone) or Kalispell (Glacier Natl Park)... Either of those places will offer endless fishing, hiking, camping, sightseeing, etc and you could fly into either city fairly easily. Both of those national parks are just amazing.