Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Are the Yankees done for the year?

[ QUOTE ]
trapsetter,
Please explain what is wrong with the Clemens move.
Yankees fans aren't any more or less fickle than most sports fans there are just more lots of yankees fans,

[/ QUOTE ]

Booing A-Rod when he's "only" hitting .290/.392/.523 has shaped my opinion of Yankee fans for the rest of my life. That's borderline retarded.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
trapsetter,
Please explain what is wrong with the Clemens move.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. I'll lay it out for you:

(1) $28 million is ridiculously too much money for not even a full season out of a player about to turn 45. For that type of money, even in a 1 year deal, I want someone who is an elite, top notch superstar that will make a major difference on my team.

(2) Even if he were priced more reasonably, Clemens is unlikely to help the Yankees all that much, even if he pitches reasonably well. They need to find some relief pitchers, they need Damon to start hitting, they need Hughes to come back and play well. Clemens pitching well, which isn't a guarantee, would be nice, but it won't make or break their year.

(3) The clause that Clemens doesn't have to travel with the team if he's not scheduled to start is absolutely absurd. I would never want a player on my team who expects that, let alone someone i'm paying $28 million. This team is desperate for some chemistry and the primadonna attitude won't help things.

Bottom line: this was a knee-jerk reaction move that reeked of desperation. The Yankees are going nowhere fast, and this move epitomizes that.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fickle NYY Fans: That's just how we are and I love it! (except when Yanks fans get ridiculous with the A-Rod booing) I was at a Tampa Bay @ Yanks game when Lou still managed TB. Lou came out to argue a call and everyone in the stadium was chanting "eject him! eject him!"

The very next day was Yankee old timer day. Guess who got a standing ovation when he was introduced?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Clark Griswold's Family Truckster being jettisoned 50 yards through the desert air, this is nothing to be proud of.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:32 PM

The sooner they're done the better so Mike & Dog can start talking football.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:34 PM

Thoughts on Torre? Front page of espn.com is calling for him to be fired right now. I don't really follow the Yankees, I'm mostly an NL guy, but I'm curious on some NYers thoughts.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:34 PM

NYY fans are hardly more fickle than any other sporting team fans. They just expect their team to win so much more than any other fan does, and with good reason -- that lineup is stacked. Even on paper, an uninjured rotation/bullpen like theirs is far from the worst in the league.

That being said... wow, they're in a whole new world of hurt. I really hope they pull themselves out of this, as they need to sweep a few series', especially their one near the end of May @ BOS. This is way too early to count them out, though. If they're 10-20 games behind still by this time next month... well...
Old 05-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Unfair, I know, to ask this but I will anyway. Based on their respective rehab starts who does it look like will help their respective teams more, Lester or Clemens? At some point, father time has to catch up with the Rog. This is a real crap shoot for the Yankees.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:39 PM

When Pettite/Clemens/Wang/Hughes/Mussina are on the hill, the Yanks are an above .600 team.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When Pettite/Clemens/Wang/Hughes/Mussina are on the hill, the Yanks are an above .600 team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, probably are a .600 team with that rotation. But if they win 60% of there remaining games the sox would only have to play .500 ball to tie them. And that's if they started today with that rotation and we know its a couple weeks away at least.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Yea, but I said above .600, and they don't necessarily have to win the division.