Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Anyone use satellite internet?

[ QUOTE ]
I used to have satellite and used it for a couple years playing poker. The people saying you will have trouble are just guessing I assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I was guessing based on research I did a few years ago...it seems things may have slightly changed. I did, however, go to Hughesnet page and the pricing for this service sucks compared to cable and DSL. Now, i realize the OP cannot get cable or DSL...but the pricing still is sky high.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 AM

I had satellite internet for a while(HUGHES). DSL is now available and I switched to that. The sat internet was faster than dial up. The only site that I ever had a problem with was full tilt. I would be nearly out of time on every hand no matter how fast I acted, even if I used the auto functions way ahead of my turn. This was playing one table. I never had a problem with full tilt when I had dial-up.

The other big worry with satellite internet was if there was any bad weather like heavy rain or snow and thunderstorms. I would often lose connection in situations like this. Hope this helps
Old 05-20-2007, 02:20 AM

I have HughesNet and have for a long time now. I have no problem ever playing any number of tables I desire...assuming I have a good connection.

If you're planning on using satellite internet for playing poker it is mandatory you have a backup plan. It's pretty easy to find some cheap dial up. Take that into consideration when budgeting for your internet. I didn't have a landline phone for many years until I moved to the middle of nowhere. By the time you take the satellite internet prices (around $50/month + an additional $50/month for 15 months to pay for equipment) + the $10 to pay for backup dialup, plus $40-50/month for a landline phone that you may not otherwise have it can cost you a total of $150+ to have internet that's really stable. This annoys the hell out of me, but compared to getting disconnected while multi-tabling tourneys cause it rains a bit, or the wind goes apeshit....it's worth it.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went with HughesNet.

Basically same price but they claim slightly faster speed.

And the $100 rebate is nice since installation isn't cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on Hughesnet. I have no trouble at most sites, but Full Tilt's software lags way too much for me to play there, and it was that way before the upgrade too. AP, Stars and UB all handle it just fine.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to have satellite and used it for a couple years playing poker. The people saying you will have trouble are just guessing I assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I was guessing based on research I did a few years ago...it seems things may have slightly changed. I did, however, go to Hughesnet page and the pricing for this service sucks compared to cable and DSL. Now, i realize the OP cannot get cable or DSL...but the pricing still is sky high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, satellite is pretty crummy compared to DSL or cable considering its cost. Customer service is notoriously bad as well. The only reason to use it is if you live in a rural area where your only other option is dial-up.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Haven't had too much of a lag issue on FullTilt.

Think I've timed out twice since switching to HughesNet, as opposed to 2-3 times daily with dial-up.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:18 PM

I think I might be pickier than others. It always takes a couple seconds between when I take an action and that action being performed. Add to that the extra time it takes for the action to get to me and even the most trivial decisions end up taking probably 3 or 4 seconds. It bugs me too much to put up with it, and I kinda feel bad for slowing down the game at every table. But I haven't timed out on a regular basis or anything that bad.