Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Default 200NL - Turning my top two pair into a bluff

Villain in this hand is your standard 20/16 tight player, I haven't seen him get out of line anywhere yet. I've also been playing tight, though I have been 3-betting from the blinds semi-light. I'm not sure if villain has noticed this, but I expect the range of hands he calls my pf 3-bet with to be fairly narrow.

I check/call the flop because I can't see myself getting a huge amount of value with a flop bet against his range, but maybe I'm wrong. The turn is the street that I'm really curious about. Given the fact that he's fairly tight I wasn't super worried about him having a ten here; there aren't too many tens in his pf calling range, and I think TT/JT check behind the flop fairly often.

That said, how's my turn play? My feeling was that I probably have the best hand right now, but could possibly fold also out another AK, and maybe even JJ/QQ. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about turning top two into a bluff. In retrospect this may have been a pretty bad line to take but I'm not sure.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $364.20</font>
BB: $264.25
UTG: $197.50
CO: $33.70
BTN: $150.05

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $7.00</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $23.00</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $16.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($48) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $32.00</font>, Hero calls $32.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($112) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $42.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $238.00</font>
Old 05-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: 200NL - Turning my top two pair into a bluff

I'm not mad keen on this turn line. I dont think he has much though so you may well have got away with this.

I'm interested in your comments re: "I think TT/JT check behind the flop fairly often." In my experience a 20/16 would almost always bet this flop with two blank cards.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: 200NL - Turning my top two pair into a bluff

i think turn is bad

i think, given villain's range, you're either behind or tying, so i'd probably call in the heat of the moment, but i think you should fold