Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 AM

Default Learning Excel and Moneybooks

Because I have no job this summer, and may not take classes, I plan on doing some intangible things, such as learning more about the business world. These include reading the WSJ and Financial Times, as well as a NY CPA journal that is highly acclaimed. I also plan on learning Excel and Moneybooks extensively, as I plan on earning my CPA and being an accountant after grad school. Is it best to learn these through a book or class? I feel like there may not be a class teaching Excel in a business sense, but there should be good books to read and experiment with. Moneybooks would probably require a book to learn and toy around with.

Are there other facets to the business world, specifically accounting, that I should pick up on this summer? FWIW I recently got into the business school accounting option at University of Washington, and will probably go to grad school afterwards. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Learning Excel and Moneybooks

principles of finance with excel. i've been using this book as the basis for a self taught class.

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Finance...8251&sr=8-1
Old 05-17-2007, 08:17 PM

Without knowing your situation, I would recommend getting a job/internship where you could learn some of this stuff on the job.

I feel like the real life experience would be more valuable than learning from a book and the experience would look better on a resume than a summer off even if you told them you studied this stuff all summer.

Entry level positions using excel extensively have to be everywhere, moneybooks maybe not so much.

edit to say: I grad last year and feel like never having an internship probably cost me $10k-15k in first year salary.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 AM

I've been in public and private accounting for 12 years and have never heard of Moneybooks. I'm guessing you won't need that.

As for Excel, a class would be worthwhile. You will use Excel on a daily basis.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 PM

Just start messing around with excel building different charts and tables..You will learn as much doing that then from other stuff