Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Some encoutagement for other newbies

So, you were introduced to poker at some point, and unlike most people who see it as a fun opportunity to gamble, you saw something else. Maybe the challenge intrigued you, or the chance to learn a new skill, or just take money from other people ( [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]).

I've been playing almost every other day for an hour or two, and even though I feel like I have a better grasp than the average player, my $100 dollars has turned into 89 dollars over two weeks. But, does this make me a losing player? No. In fact, I think I am kicking ass. Let me tell you why.

I see myself folding more often when I have the second best hand. I am being more aggresssive and winning more pots outright against players I read as timid, and winning those big pots against more tight players because I am learning patience. I am sucking out less when the odds say not too, and calling when the odds are with me. In tournements, besides the one I have won (yay), I havn't done too well, but I see that my worst beats are just dumb (un)luck. Ex. Raising into someone when I flop two pair and they have a hidden set. AI shortstack AQ called by AK.

All of these lessons have only cost me $10. Pretty cool huh? Cheaper and more effective than a book, too. I dont get to play as much as I would like, but I understand that varience is a part of this, and I cant take this slight drop too seriously. I've probably played less than 1000 hands!

So, if you feel as if you SHOULD be doing better than you are, and starting to doubt yourself, realize this. The longer you stick this out, playing games within your bankroll, you will make money off poor players and learn some good lessons from those that are better. All worth while. HANG IN THERE!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Some encoutagement for other newbies

Good post. Two months down the line you'll look back and say to yourself. "Wow, I didn't know as much as I thought I did, I've learned so much since then." This keeps going on month after month. At least for me it has. It's a great feeling.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Some encoutagement for other newbies

Great post. Nothing much more to say - you covered it.