Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 PM

Default regression analysis

i have a job interview on monday.

much of the work i will be doing involves running regressions.

i've run a few and interpreted a couple but am basically a noob when it comes to the details of how they work. for example, i have no idea how the math works, i just punch it into excel. and most of what i do know is in the context of specific stock/market returns.

a question: in the stock/market regressions i've done, the x axis is the independent variable, the y axis the dependent. is x always the independent variable, no matter what sort of regression you're running?
any good websites? most of the sites i've seen are a bit dense.

thanks.
mike
Old 05-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: regression analysis

[ QUOTE ]
i have a job interview on monday.

much of the work i will be doing involves running regressions.

i've run a few and interpreted a couple but am basically a noob when it comes to the details of how they work. for example, i have no idea how the math works, i just punch it into excel. and most of what i do know is in the context of specific stock/market returns.

a question: in the stock/market regressions i've done, the x axis is the independent variable, the y axis the dependent. is x always the independent variable, no matter what sort of regression you're running?
any good websites? most of the sites i've seen are a bit dense.

thanks.
mike

[/ QUOTE ]

i would stop thinking about trying to learn statistics and rather think about how to phrase your current knowledge of it in terms of how you'd fit in with the company.

you won't get enough comfort to pass their questions (if they are competant) in 3 days. but you SHOULD be able to confidently state that a) you love thiking about this stuff and briefly go over why - i.e. your regressions in excel and, more importantly b) that you want to learn a lot more about it and that you think you'd be able to add significant value in the future once you do.

Barron
Old 05-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: regression analysis

this is good advice.

thanks.