Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Going broke with AK, top pair @ NL10 (how to avoid?)

3 betting preflop is a good start.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 betting preflop is a good start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats an option. I like to call a 3way or HU pot to disguise my hand, an unsuspecting weaker Ace will pay you well.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM

Oh ye, if you like to disguise please do so.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10NL at Party is my regular home I have played nearly 50k hands at this level (yes sick I know).

This situation is one I faced a few times on the Flop and in my opinion you’re probably behind. Hands that beat you include the following;
A5 ,2 to make 2pair, which will call a 4xbb PFR at this level a lot of the time, people love to play any A at this level no mater how dominated they could end up.
AA possible but unlikely, it’s not unknown for someone to play in such a way. More likely is 55 or 22.
The least likely is 3 4, but it does and will happen. If you have poker HUD and some stats on this player you may or may not include this hand in his range but most time even at Party10NL most villains won’t call a PFR with small suited connectors.

Now on to the hands you beat that are likely to have re-raised on the flop;
MP 2 has called a PFR and re-raised on the flop. This play could also stink of AK (split) or an AQ, J maybe T, but you have to be bad to re-raise on this flop.
Some of the better player will semi bluff and push Flush Draws like KQ, KJ, KT, QJ of Clubs expecting a fold more 60% of the time.

To me in this situation I would say you’re behind more that in front but not by much. If you’re single tabling just try to put some thought into Villains betting patterns. When faced with such a call to put all your chips in just stop and have a think what worse hands will call you if you can’t think or any spring to mind then fold. It can’t be any better or worse than EV neutral, At least until your hand reading skills get better as they will if you keep practicing.

Once you start to think of your game a little bit more 10NL become pretty easy to beat. Players have a lot of leaks in these games if you have less than them you will win more money than them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool post, thanks. I'm slowly thinking that these minraises(I mean raises to double the original bet) more often than not mean that the guy has a real hand.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Squeeze pre(2.00$) lead out close to pot. Then its safe to shove. to many people in hand cheaply to shove AK.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10NL at Party is my regular home I have played nearly 50k hands at this level (yes sick I know).

This situation is one I faced a few times on the Flop and in my opinion you’re probably behind. Hands that beat you include the following;
A5 ,2 to make 2pair, which will call a 4xbb PFR at this level a lot of the time, people love to play any A at this level no mater how dominated they could end up.
AA possible but unlikely, it’s not unknown for someone to play in such a way. More likely is 55 or 22.
The least likely is 3 4, but it does and will happen. If you have poker HUD and some stats on this player you may or may not include this hand in his range but most time even at Party10NL most villains won’t call a PFR with small suited connectors.

Now on to the hands you beat that are likely to have re-raised on the flop;
MP 2 has called a PFR and re-raised on the flop. This play could also stink of AK (split) or an AQ, J maybe T, but you have to be bad to re-raise on this flop.
Some of the better player will semi bluff and push Flush Draws like KQ, KJ, KT, QJ of Clubs expecting a fold more 60% of the time.

To me in this situation I would say you’re behind more that in front but not by much. If you’re single tabling just try to put some thought into Villains betting patterns. When faced with such a call to put all your chips in just stop and have a think what worse hands will call you if you can’t think or any spring to mind then fold. It can’t be any better or worse than EV neutral, At least until your hand reading skills get better as they will if you keep practicing.

Once you start to think of your game a little bit more 10NL become pretty easy to beat. Players have a lot of leaks in these games if you have less than them you will win more money than them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool post, thanks. I'm slowly thinking that these minraises(I mean raises to double the original bet) more often than not mean that the guy has a real hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've noticed that too! preflop it could be many things, people have sick starting hand requirements and re-raise with A-3 all the time - but postflop, when someone only doubles a strong bet, they often have a very, very strong hand. so even when these bets gives great pod odds, i always try to be a little careful.

although, when having TPTK - and knowing that SO many players love Ace-rag - you just have to pay off. i think your play is good here.

someone said re-raise preflop. no! its enough to call a raise. after all, those weak aces are the ones that pay you off when you hit! so we don't want to scare them away. that you met a straight on flop was just unlucky [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

well played.
-karl
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM

Any advice that does not start with 3bet pf is bad advice. At NL10, you should ALWAYS 3bet AK pf, not even close.

If this flop happens in a reraised pot, easy all in.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice that does not start with 3bet pf is bad advice. At NL10, you should ALWAYS 3bet AK pf, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, you need to reraise with AK in this spot to drive out hands like 34s.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 PM

keep changing my mind because I dont' remember how bad 10NL is lol. I'd probably just bet flop and turn, calling small raises but folding to big ones.

full ring confuses me to, I haven't played much full ring at all really.

I don't like a check/shove here on a super dry board thats 4-way. This is way overkill.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If this flop happens in a reraised pot, easy all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say a 3 bet is the worst of the 3 option at these tables. Example you 3 bet and get one caller, around 60% of the time you will miss the flop. You are then faced with a difficult decision.
What has villain called a 3 bet with?
Do I C-bet and risk getting in deeper trouble?
A 3bet would almost certainly drive out weaker Aces (except Q most of the time) as well as small SC.

I would, depending on the feel for the game and players either call (to disguise) or Push. If you’re calling pushes or making the push you could say more than 50%, you will be the underdog most of time to pairs. If the player seems loose and the kind that will push with AQ, KQs and a couple of other over rated hands then go for it you will be favourite more than 50% of the time.

Im not saying 3betting is a bad option just at Party10NL it’s the worst of the 3 options. It’s a play that can get a less experienced player into a difficult situation.