Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 03:34 AM

Default They always have it

Unknown villain.

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>
Old 05-17-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: They always have it

What does the flopcall accomplish here?

If you are behind, you don't have odds to draw, if you are ahead (which is unlikely, a read of UTG's capping range would help here alot) you don't gain any information.

Against a normal player the only likely hands you'll beat here are maybe AQ, AJs (unlikely) and 99. Maybe occasionally something like JTs or QJs.
So I would rather raise the flop and if called bet/fold turn and check behind on the river. The pot is kinda big, so I'd rather win it right here or atleast know where I stand.

One thing that doesn't make sense is to call the flop and fold the turn, so if you call the flop I guess you have to calldown (unless an ace hits), if you think you are good.

I don't dislike folding the flop here that much either, although it might be weak.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:31 AM

What about calling flop/turn and folding river?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Against a complete unknown, I really just want to get this hand to showdown as cheaply as possible. That's usually just going to be by going into calldown mode. Probably betting if he checks it to me.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM

Oh man show this down. I don't know what your table image here is but I can say this guy's range is a lot wider than you think on stars. I wish I could cleverly post a HH but I don't have my db in front of me.

I've seen ATo in this spot twice in my last 1k hands. Showdown.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy's range is a lot wider than you think

[/ QUOTE ]

word.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM

All we know here is villain is unknown and flop is dry except for the FD. I think any line in the set (in no particular order; fold, raise/fold, showdown, fold river UI, showdown if no flush card on turn or river) is defensible and reasonable. The cap and K leads me to think this is not the best spot to look villain up but it would depend on table texture as well.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man show this down. I don't know what your table image here is but I can say this guy's range is a lot wider than you think on stars. I wish I could cleverly post a HH but I don't have my db in front of me.

I've seen ATo in this spot twice in my last 1k hands. Showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called down and he had 55.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 PM

"What does the flopcall accomplish here?"

it lets you call and call again and showdown without putting too many bets in? HOWMANY i think this is a pretty standard call down against an unknown. people cap a ton of small pairs now and they (often rightfully) never stop betting postflop.