Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Rules regarding youtube videos

Are you allowed to use other peoples videos from youtube on your blogs? If you have a real estate blog and want to put a bunch of youtube videos, is that allowed?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Rules regarding youtube videos

people wouldn't post the videos on youtube in the first place if they didn't want it being shared.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Yea, I run a NSFW blog:

link removed

In fact blogger has a tool, that makes it very easy to add youtube videos to your blog. Why is this legal? b/c the video stays on Youtube's server. If you were to take a youtube vide, rip it onto your hard drive, and rehost it on your own server, there could be problems.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people wouldn't post the videos on youtube in the first place if they didn't want it being shared.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true, I am pretty sure legal actions can be taken if someone is exploiting a video for his or her own benefit.

IE: taking an existing youtube vide that is popular, and hosting it on your site, or taking an existing youtube video, editing it (placing your URL, website ad/info) and re hosting it on youtube.

I am not sure about my conclusion btw, but I am fairly certain it is accurate.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this legal? b/c the video stays on Youtube's server. If you were to take a youtube vide, rip it onto your hard drive, and rehost it on your own server, there could be problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if I post a copyrighted image on my website by hotlinking to the site that hosts it that's okay? I'm not a lawyer but I have read a fair amount regarding copyright law and DMCA Safe harbor Provisisons and I don't think your post is very accurate.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is this legal? b/c the video stays on Youtube's server. If you were to take a youtube vide, rip it onto your hard drive, and rehost it on your own server, there could be problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
So if I post a copyrighted image on my website by hotlinking to the site that hosts it that's okay? I'm not a lawyer but I have read a fair amount regarding copyright law and DMCA Safe harbor Provisisons and I don't think your post is very accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

" You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service."
Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

" You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service."

[/ QUOTE ]
That's all well and good, but kind of pointless if you don't actually own those rights in the first place.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Squidoo.com and blogspot.com

You won't have a problem if you post a youtube video into your squidoo or blogspot sites because they have a deal with youtube to do it. A good example would be the "philhellmuth" site/lense on squiido. It has videos of Hellmuth in various tournaments and live games.

Squidoo and blogspot are by no means the only ones. I believe livejournal and a couple of others have them too. You won't have to worry if you use these.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true, I am pretty sure legal actions can be taken if someone is exploiting a video for his or her own benefit.

IE: taking an existing youtube vide that is popular, and hosting it on your site, or taking an existing youtube video, editing it (placing your URL, website ad/info) and re hosting it on youtube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is any court really going to favorably look at your case when there's a simpler solution for people to not 'exploit' your video (ie. remove the video from youtube)

Unless someone can point to a case where a person sued a blogger for linking to a youtube video that the rights holder owned, I wouldn't worry about this from legal standpoint. People post videos on youtube because they want the attention and the possibility of creating a viral effect.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is any court really going to favorably look at your case when there's a simpler solution for people to not 'exploit' your video (ie. remove the video from youtube)

Unless someone can point to a case where a person sued a blogger for linking to a youtube video that the rights holder owned, I wouldn't worry about this from legal standpoint. People post videos on youtube because they want the attention and the possibility of creating a viral effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post assumes that you are linking to the youtube video using their javascript code to add the video to your website. All bets are off if you rip the video from youtube and host it independently and do not provide proper attribution to the author of the video.