Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: going to Korea - will I be stuck there?

Google is your friend.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, South Korean men over the age of 18, including American citizens of Korean descent, are subject to compulsory military service. A dual national may not be allowed to abandon his ROK nationality until he finishes his military service, or has received a special exemption from military service. There have been several instances in which young American men of Korean descent, who were born and lived all of their lives in the United States, arrived in the ROK for a tourist visit only to find themselves drafted into the South Korean army.

Americans of Korean descent may request further information from the nearest South Korean Embassy or Consulate before visiting Korea.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch
Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In addition, South Korean men over the age of 18, including American citizens of Korean descent, are subject to compulsory military service. A dual national may not be allowed to abandon his ROK nationality until he finishes his military service, or has received a special exemption from military service. There have been several instances in which young American men of Korean descent, who were born and lived all of their lives in the United States, arrived in the ROK for a tourist visit only to find themselves drafted into the South Korean army.

Americans of Korean descent may request further information from the nearest South Korean Embassy or Consulate before visiting Korea.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. I thought once you were a US citizen, you were free. I think once you reach a certain age, you're good. I forget the age limit.

I guess I'm not going to Korea for a while.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 PM

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation, except I was born in Singapore instead of Korea. They have a similar rule against dual-citizenships, and they have mandatory military service.

Basically I can't go back until I denounce my citizenship, which I can't do until I'm 21. If I were to go back as a Canadian citizen, there is a chance they wouldn't notice, but if caught then all bets are off, so there's no way I"m taking that risk. If I go back and acknowledge that I am a Singaporean citizen, they have every right to hold me there until I complete military service.

If Korea is anything similar, I'd say ditch the citizenship before going. You never really know what could happen...what's the point in risking it?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 PM

shiet - i'm picking up that form tomorrow...
Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Talk to the US Consulate in Seoul as well. I'm sure they've run across this before.