Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 05:40 AM

Default QJs cold call pf, bluff river

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, 3 folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.4SB, 3 players)
MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 2 players)
MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: 5.7BB

what do you think about cold calling pf? I had no reads, but I know mp2 will call and I hope BB also do it.

On the flop I would protect my gutshot draw with 2 overcards and take a free card. Is it ok or it isn't because my outs are not all good?

On the river I put him on 2 overcards, on missed draw or on JTs, I bluffed because I can't beat 2 overcards, do you think it is fine?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: QJs cold call pf, bluff river

I don't like the pf coldcall with no reads.

No, your outs are not close to being all good on this flop against a legit pfr at these limits (I mean they're good against like AT/AK not spades/99 and that's about it unless he's positionally aware enough to raise weaker hands).

River bluff, most people are going to look you up with AK, I think you got lucky.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you got lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM

Unless I know the blinds are pretty loose, I'd just fold preflop.

As played, since you raised the flop and took your free card, if I were in Villain's position, I'd be calling pretty liberally on the river to pick off a bluff. Since you didn't bet the turn, it looks a lot like a draw, especially a spade draw, and other than A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], that river probably didn't help you out.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:11 AM

by title alone... this can not be good.

after reading the post....

fold preflop

flop good
bet turn
river good as played
Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Preflop, I fold this unless MP3 is crazy loose.

On the flop, I like the raise. You are raising to protect your hand by trying to force MP2 out. Figure you have 3.5 outs for hitting an 8 (8s lets say is .5 an out), then maybe ~5 outs for overcards (2.5 for Q and J spades count as .5 outs). This gives you around 8.5-9 outs, so you have a number of ways to catch up and win the hand.

If you raise flop, you might fire a turn bet if you think villain will fold instead of just taking a free card.

By checking the turn and betting the river, I think villain might look you up light here. What good did the 3d do for your hand? From his perspective your betting looks strange, and he might call with Ace high or a pair of 5's, etc.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are raising to protect your hand by trying to force MP2 out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this, why are we protecting Q high? Also, I think you've given him too many outs, 7 might be closer to the mark.

A raise on this flop is interesting, the flop is likely to have missed the PFR who may just be firing a c-bet here, it might even win the pot there and then.

So, if you're sure you'll get the free card is a 7 out draw enough enough to make this play?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 PM

You aren't just protecting Q high here, you are protecting a gutshot straight draw + your two overcards. Raising will cause MP2 to fold some hands that might beat us that he might have called for only one bet.

Let's say MP2 called preflop with KQ, KJ, 99, or 77. He might call one bet on the flop to see the turn, but he might not called two back to him. By raising, you can get hands that might be beating you to fold. Also, you can take a free card by raising, yada yada yada.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:01 PM

I think it's a preflop fold, because there simply aren't enough limpers, if it was like a 4-way pot, it could be ok to call 2 bets
Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Raising this flop is a total mistake. By "protecting" our hand here, we're not increasing our equity. We're mostly increasing the equity of whatever guy has the best hand.