Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: It cost someone close to 200k...

Congrats Jason,

How do you end up working with MS with an engineering degree? It sounds like you're more into the Business side and not taking the technical route. Good luck though.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 PM

I don't know what's impressive about the degree, but I am v. impressed with how flexible & self-aware Jason has always seemed on these boards.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol at "easy to obtain"

1) he had to do an insane amount of work to get into Duke in the first place... and be really, really smart
2) he had to do an insane amount of work while there... and be really, really smart. a high graduation rate is a testament to the kind of students at Duke, not that it is "easy."
3) he did it and got a degree, which will land him great jobs and opportunities worth big bucks. this degree will most likely be a cornerstone in his life, future jobs or further education are directly influenced by it.

enough with that though. congrats jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is REALLY easy to do well at a high-caliber school like Duke. I went to a comparable school and have friends at IV League universities who would all agree there is enough grade inflation to allow even someone doing the minimal amount of work to graduate.

In terms of getting accepted to Duke - that is more a factor of what high school you are coming from than working hard. Yeah, you need a certain level of activities, grades, SAT scores, etc...but in terms of one of the most impressive accomplishments, are you kidding me?

I'm not trying to deny that a degree from Duke is valuable, just that I am not nearly as impressed with it as some of the horn blowers that posted in this thread.

I am MUCH more impressed by people who don't have the opportunity to attend college after high school, get a job, and later on pay their own way (and possibly take night classes) to get a degree from a community college. That is a much more difficult task to do than go to quality college after high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are a [censored] idiot, gild ban this [censored]
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM

lol you are from nc aren't you? I thought the exact same thing when I first heard what non-nc, non-state schools cost.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:10 PM

I just read title, hope you turn things around strass. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

--GA

PS: I went to an I.V. League school.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 PM

I wish people would stop misspelling dook.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read title, hope you turn things around strass. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

--GA

PS: I went to an I.V. League school.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn they let anyone in
Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is REALLY easy to do well at a high-caliber school like Duke.

[/ QUOTE ]
after the first sentence everyone already knows you are retarded, but you decide to continue anyway [ QUOTE ]
I went to a comparable school

[/ QUOTE ] Really? why so embarrassed to share? Most ppl would chose to include the name of the school at this point were they not ashamed of it. [ QUOTE ]
would all agree there is enough grade inflation to allow even someone doing the minimal amount of work to graduate.

[/ QUOTE ] Most people cite grade inflation when there are too many average students making A's, not too many people flunking students making D's. just a thought
[ QUOTE ]

In terms of getting accepted to Duke - that is more a factor of what high school you are coming from than working hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? I was in the first graduating class at my HS. I wonder how they dealt w/ my admission?

[ QUOTE ]

I am MUCH more impressed by people who don't have the opportunity to attend college after high school, get a job, and later on pay their own way (and possibly take night classes) to get a degree from a community college. That is a much more difficult task to do than go to quality college after high school.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes yes, clearly community college is much harder and deserves much more respect.
Really nice post you put together here man, its a glimmering reflection of the incredible college education you received. You should certainly be proud of yourself for ruining a perfectly excellent brag by a well regarded poster.

ps. ysscky
Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM

strassa,

Congratulations, man.

everyone else,

Yeah, "Duke" is really easy to graduate from. Guess what, morons - if you substitute any college in the [censored] United States for "Duke" the statement remains accurate. Shut up and let the man brag.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Congrats strass