Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Short stack vs. chip leader near the bubble

Towards the end of an $60 B&M NLHE tourney, twelve players remaining at two tables of six, seven places pay. An added twist is that this is the final tourney in a series in which the leaderboard winner will win entry to a $1500 event. I'm not in the running to win the series, but everyone at today's final table gets a percentage of the leader's winnings in the subsequent event.

Blinds are 500/1000 with a 100 ante, my stack is around 11000 after posting the BB and ante. It's folded to the CO who limps. He's the chip leader by a wide margin. I've recently moved to the table and seen him play a few hands passively, and the word is that he's built his stack by playing this way and hitting a lot (I heard a lot of bad beat stories in the breaks!). The button folds, the SB (a decent player who has me covered) completes, making the pot 3600. I have Ah-Jh. I raise an extra 3000, the CO calls and the SB folds, so the pot is now 9600 and I have around 8000 behind. The flop is 7s-4s-2c. What next?

Also, what are opinions on my pre-flop raise? I considered pushing there but I wanted a call from CO - I'd seen him call standard pre-flop raises and then fold to flop action.

Cheers!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Short stack vs. chip leader near the bubble

Unless you think he's stupid enough to bet/fold on this board (which would be monumentally stupid), then, as played, it's an open shove for sure. Personally, I'd just shove PF. Hand is nice and pot's worth winning. Go and go is fine though - now go the second time.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:36 AM

M=5.2 - instant push preflop
Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 PM

M=5.2 - instant push preflop
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 AM

On the flop, my thinking is that I'm behind if the CO has limp-called with a low pair or with Ace-low and hit his kicker, but more likely he's got a marginal holding like Q-T and I'm in front, so a push on the flop is the way to go. But thinking about it now, I can't imagine a flop that would have scared me off, so it comes down my pre-flop choices.

I think it was the fact that I wasn't first in that was the deciding factor in going for a standard raise rather than a push. In this case I may have set myself up for a three-way pot, as the SB may have been priced in after a call from the CO. As it happened, I got the pre-flop result I wanted - more of the calling station's money in the pot - but I can see that I didn't think about what my intentions were beyond that. Was it being greedy to want him in the pot?