Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 AM

Default nl400 KK turn gets a bit ugly

this hand is prolly pretty standard but i ll ask anyway.
villain here is pretty lag but not bad as far as i know. i have seen him player higher than nl400. dont have history with him and i just sat down.

Blinds: $2/$4
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $343.00
CO: $184.15
Button: $570.00 (33/22/3)
SB: $475.00
hero: $400.00

Pre-flop: (5 players) hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $20</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $56</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($170, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $100</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

bet more, right? like 140ish?

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($370, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero is all-in $240</font>, Button calls.

i thought that the queen is the second worst card that could come of besides the ace and it also completes a flush. so whats my line here? i got the king of club and i just shoved. anything wrong with that?
can i get anyway from this with 1/2 of my stack committed?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: nl400 KK turn gets a bit ugly

Id check and call a push against a lag, its a great card for him to bluff at.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM

raise more preflop. bet more on flop. shove turn.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:48 AM

ugly spot
but 2 good things is its 100bb, and villain is lag as you said he could put you on AK and just call with random holdings or even JJ

i'd bet more on that flop, 140 sounds good
that leaves you with 200 in a 380 ish pot
if you think villain has a set, TT or spiked one on turn QQ, then you'd still have ~10/11 outs to the river to win the pot... I don't see how you can bet/fold... with really good reads then maybe a check/fold
Old 05-16-2007, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise more preflop. bet more on flop. shove turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this hand is prolly pretty standard but i ll ask anyway.
villain here is pretty lag but not bad as far as i know. i have seen him player higher than nl400. dont have history with him and i just sat down.

Blinds: $2/$4
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $343.00
CO: $184.15
Button: $570.00 (33/22/3)
SB: $475.00
hero: $400.00

Pre-flop: (5 players) hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $20</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $56</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($170, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $100</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

bet more, right? like 140ish?

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($370, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero is all-in $240</font>, Button calls.

i thought that the queen is the second worst card that could come of besides the ace and it also completes a flush. so whats my line here? i got the king of club and i just shoved. anything wrong with that?
can i get anyway from this with 1/2 of my stack committed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like reraising to 70 preflop and then maybe 8 tenths of pot on the flop.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:16 AM

i would definitely raise more preflop. anytime im raising out of the blinds, or in a spot where im going to be out of position for the rest of the hand im going to raise more. i would also bet a larger % of the pot on the flop. on the turn i think shoving is fine and i may do that in the heat of the moment, but i also like a check. there is no way a better hand is gonna fold, although given the smallish flop bet and your description of him he may have a hand like JJ or a pair smaller than Tens like 99 with or without a club, or some other hand that you have in bad shape. You have the club so a free card is not nearly as dangerous so i like a check that gives him a chance to move in wiht a hand like black JJ or 99, which to me seems a fairly likely holding. a hand like AT with or without the club also seems reasonable, and he very well may shove with it, which would be great if he didnt have the club but feels he needs to protect himself in case you do.

i guess what that longwinded, rambling, post is saying is that i like a check. i dont think you can protect you hand if he has a holding with very many outs against you (something like AT with the Ac) but i do think there are a number of hands that may not call but will shove fairly often if you check, that you want in there. there is of course a very reasonable chance that you are behind but at this point i think there is no getting away from your hand, or protecting it against hands that have a lot of outs, so you need to focus on getting the money in against hands that are in bad shape against you.

wow that shortened conclusion was almost as long as the rambling part that needed summarizing,

matty
Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 AM

i totally agreed with u jomatty. actually no worse hand will call a shove but a lot of hands should shove here 4 protection. in the heat of the battle i realized this but didnt act accordingly.

i think my line here looked very much like ako with one club. smallish flop bet hopin to take it down and then a turn shove bc i got a ton of outs. i guess that was what villain was thinking bc he made the call here with JJc.