Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Stacking off with an overpair against an unknown? 25NL

This is a literal unknown, as in first hand that he has played at the table. I know preflop blows, normally I 3-bet here so I'd like to focus the discussion on the flop play.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $17.50
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $63.65</font>
UTG: $13.65
CO: $24.30
BTN: $21.65

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.85</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $0.60

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($1.80) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $1.80</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.75</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises all-in to $20.80</font>, Hero calls $15.05

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($43.40) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

<font color="black">River:</font> ($43.40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $43.40 ($2.15 Rake)
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Stacking off with an overpair against an unknown? 25NL

I'd call tat every time too. PF raise would have given some idea about villain's hand but other than that, I'd say standard call.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 AM

I think re-raising on the flop is good here. You snuff out a CBet and make her define the strength of her hand. Having said that, her betting is consistently strong in this hand so I don't think I'm calling that push with just an over-pair.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call tat every time too. PF raise would have given some idea about villain's hand but other than that, I'd say standard call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment is indicative of a major leak (no offense). What is hero beating here? Hero's flop raise is super strong and there is no combo draw available. Why wouldn't villain be concerned about hero having a 7? IMO ur only beating 88-1010. QQ+, 7x and 44 have you crushed and are all well within villain's range. This is spew.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:08 AM

for villain to come WAY over the top of your substantial check raise, he clearly holds a strong hand. As mentioned before, you're really only beatnig 88-1010.

Even if you do decide to call, you are drawing VERY thin to possibly win the hand when you're behind... because in spots like these, when you're behind, you're almost compeletely dead
Old 05-16-2007, 01:09 AM

I think the biggest concern here... and is kind of something that I over looked is that by just calling out of the blinds, the chance of me having a 7 is higher than normal, but that still isn't slowing him down.

But, I'm not entirely sure this is a HUGE leak, but it is obviously player dependent. If he is capable of making this play with AQ+ and 88+ (and 44, and I'm going to say A7/67/78), then I think it's pretty close against his range. [56/44 for our hand according to pokerstove]. If the player isn't capable of making this with just overs... but is still making it with 88+ and those possible 7s, then yeah, definite fold but it's not even that awful [42/58 dog].

In hindsight though, with him being new to the table (and no reads on me) and vice versa, I think it tilts this toward a clear fold (which may have been easier with a preflop 3-bet)
Old 05-16-2007, 01:10 AM

Oh, and just to clarify... what are the thoughts on the line up until the call? Standard, or does anyone check-call here? If check-call, do you lead the turn?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 AM

3-bet to $3 pre flop. JJ OOP is a bastard, so take it down early if you can.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:32 AM

I 3 bet preflop. Having not done that I'm just gonna look to get to showdown cheaply. Playing a big pot in this spot is always going to be bad. I'd much rather lead the flop than c/r as well.