Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: One night in Portland

I don't know what Club Portland is but if Ed goes there it must be pretty awesome right?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what Club Portland is but if Ed goes there it must be pretty awesome right?

[/ QUOTE ]Depends on your persuasion.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Was there this weekend and took this photo. Seems like a must-do PDX thing.

Can't remember the name of the place. It is near Bar of the Gods.

KJS
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to the Magic Garden in China Town. You will not be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there for 10 min on Sat with friends, even the girls we wete with who usually love strip clubs were dissapointed, maybe it was just an off night. There is this dive strip bar off of se 10th and morrison I like. Ive heard Devil's Point is good.

Boiler Room is a good bar, if you want more intresting dive then Dante's and the Matador are decent.

OP - Horse Brass is a great pub. You really have a lot of options of what you want to do. There are a couple main areas downtown. You have the upper NW (upper burnside near 20th, then 21st and 23rd streets)...lower NW on both sides of burnside street...clubs and bars all around. Then there is SE, where there are pockets all over. 34th and belmont, hawthorne, etc. Some cool restraunts and bars right across the river on Grand or MLK blvd...nice little bar called Slow Bar, there is Montage, etc.

Amnesia Brewing is pretty good. Im leaving a lot out, but its a pretty good city.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people can't recommend anything to do except go to strip clubs

[/ QUOTE ] Dude, he's coming here on a sunday, you can't tell him to go check out Multnomah Falls or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, imagine he is here for a long weekend. What would you suggest he do? I can think of going out to the coast, and seeing multnomah falls, neither of which are worth planning a vacation to Portland for.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 AM

haha, you are selling this place short (especially the coast!), but in reality, P-Town is not SF or LA. The weather usually isn't great, exept during the summer. But someone could go to Mt. Hood or the wineries in the willamete valley. But portland really isn't a destination city, but it is a cool place to visit/party in.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha, you are selling this place short (especially the coast!), but in reality, P-Town is not SF or LA. The weather usually isn't great, exept during the summer. But someone could go to Mt. Hood or the wineries in the willamete valley. But portland really isn't a destination city, but it is a cool place to visit/party in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but you visit the coast, not Portland. Portland not being a destination city is what I was alluding to. I would just never suggest someone with two weeks of vacation a year spend some of that time on a trip to Portland, lets put it that way.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP could pretty much stagger around downtown with his boy and find reputable bars all over the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all honesty, for all my planning, this is probably what it's going to end up being.

TSC: I'll probably stay away from Rogue, just because I'll have spent a couple days in Newport and I'm sure we'll spend some time at their bar there. I am a big fan of their beers though and if it weren't for that I would probably make it a point to head to their Portland bar.

The recommendations in this thread have been really good. I'll definitely check out Jake's; looked at the menu online and the prices are very reasonable. It's also pretty close to where I'm staying.

I live in a medium sized city on the east coast but one great thing about it is that we have a restaurant that carries about 70 microbrews on tap and hundreds of good bottles. If there is a good beer brewed on the coast it's probably at this place, and quite possibly on tap. Is there a place like this in Portland? I'd really like to try some west coast beers that aren't available out here.