Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: too weird or too good?

no i was feeling unsure about it, like maybe it was too ambitious and i wanted to see if anyone on here would say something that would make me think about it differently. it wasnt like a solid obvious read like i saw the guys hand shaking or he looked away when the flop came or a tell or something. im not looking for a pat on the back or something, i already know im good at stuff like this. i was just surprised with how easily i was able to release the hand. part of me was sort of hoping someone good would come on and say big deal i do stuff like this too sometimes.

look im the first person to say that ive sometimes been too confident in my person reading skills and ive folded best hands in some big pots before. im searching for the perfect balance. sorry if this thread is a little self indulgent, it's more intended for me to think through these sorts of plays than to teach anyone anything. ryno's post was the best so far imo.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ryno's post was the best so far imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is often the case. Ryno, please post more even though you don't play too much limit these days.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 PM

"gee havent i done this before, been in this spot and seen it turn out bad too often."

Well, it's good to learn from our mistakes, but it needs to be the correct lesson. We still need to make the correct play even if it didn't turn out good the last few times.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 PM

"I want to add just a little addition."

You're making a valuable point, but this phrase made me chuckle.

Regards,
Andy
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 PM

I agree with you about Ryno's post.

And, of course, you know who it sounds like.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 PM

"part of me was sort of hoping someone good would come on and say big deal i do stuff like this too sometimes."

::: raising hand :::

"i was just surprised with how easily i was able to release the hand."

That’s cool. When that happens to me, usually somebody flopped quads.

But mike, seriously, sort of, I'm a big fan of making bad folds for no reason, but even I can't back you on this one. The reason I think it's a bad fold is kind of boring. You could catch a queen. And if they have the hands that you felt them have, you’ll get paid something, even with a QQJJ board, so the math probably only slightly favors a fold, even assuming you have the worst hand.

So, which one of them had quads? :-)

Tommy
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM

but if utg has AQ (or other guy somehow has one) i chop with a Q meaning there's only 1 left for half the pot...so the math doesnt like the call for that either. no, if i call there has to be a significant chance my hand is good or that a flush or straight is good should i back into one. the problem with those backdoor draws is they are messy outs that might boat someone up or something. bottom line is my hand just isnt good often enough from my experience in these spots against these sorts of players in this card room at this limit.

so why not fold preflop? ive certainly been folding up a storm lately. i think it's very close. part of being able to play a hand like this profitably is getting away from trap spots like this. which i guess i did.

utg had AA and other guy had a J.

thought you might chime in on this one tommy. if you had posted this same hand a couple years ago i wouldve screamed and yelled about how wrong it is. funny how things change.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I want to add just a little addition."

You're making a valuable point, but this phrase made me chuckle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. This is pretty interesting actually since I played at oceans until 3am and got up to take my kids to school and then posted this on 3 hrs of sleep. If I was capable of such retarted prose, one could only imagine what kind of errors I could be capable of making at the poker table when this tired. Joe, no need to lecture if you read this. I know how you feel.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:35 AM

if their hand ranges are so narrow on this flop that you must fold then you should never ever call pf. you simply cant have it both ways.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if their hand ranges are so narrow on this flop that you must fold then you should never ever call pf. you simply cant have it both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to take this line with him on the phone earlier but didn't get too far and just gave up. See my first post in this thread.